History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Elton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3348 / 52°20'5"N

Longitude: -2.7969 / 2°47'48"W

OS Eastings: 345796

OS Northings: 271044

OS Grid: SO457710

Mapcode National: GBR BG.V43F

Mapcode Global: VH76T.GLR0

Entry Name: Elton Hall

Listing Date: 11 June 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081768

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150210

Location: Elton, County of Herefordshire, SY8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Elton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Wigmore Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Wigmore

Listing Text

ELTON CP
ELTON

SO 47 SE
4/31
11.6.59

Elton Hall

GV
II

House. Cl7 or earlier origins, partly rebuilt and refronted mid-C18;
restored late C20. Part finely jointed handmade brick, part rubble;
partly hipped plain tiled roofs with two brick ridge stacks and large
brick end stacks with offsets. Two storeys, cellar and attic with
dormers; moulded timber eaves cornice to front elevation. Six bays;
there is a gable above the central two bays; windows on main floors all
have ogee-arched 12-pane sashes beneath cambered heads. There are four
C20 gabled dormers with 2-light casements and a C20 circular window within
the central gable. The central entrance is flanked by narrow 8-pane sashes
similarly detailed to the main windows. It has an open pediment, pilasters,
panelled reveals and soffit, a door with six raised and fielded panels and
a barred segmental fanlight. At the rear of the main front range are three
brick wings and a substantial rubble north-east wing possibly of Cl7 origin
and linked to the stables (qv) by a C20 single-storey addition. Interior:
there is an open well staircase with turned balusters and moulded and
wreathed handrail to the rear of the main block and also a small section of
C18 panelling in the entrance hall. There are recorded to be some Cl7 or
possibly medieval timbers surviving in the main building and the north-east
wing. The house formerly belonged to Andrew Knight, brother of Richard
Payne Knight, who built Downton Castle (qv) nearby. Andrew Knight was a
founder and, for 27 years, president of the Horticultural Society and he
experimented in raising new varieties of fruit at Elton. In 1809 he left
Elton to live at Downton Castle. (Country Life,XLii, 60, p 36-42; RCHM
Herefs, Vol III, p 57; BoE, p 127-8).


Listing NGR: SO4579671044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.