History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leinthall Starkes, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3255 / 52°19'31"N

Longitude: -2.8203 / 2°49'13"W

OS Eastings: 344187

OS Northings: 270028

OS Grid: SO441700

Mapcode National: GBR BF.VQB2

Mapcode Global: VH76T.2TB4

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 11 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081770

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150215

Location: Leinthall Starkes, County of Herefordshire, SY8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Leinthall Starkes

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Wigmore Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Wigmore

Listing Text

LEINTHALL STARKES CP
so 47 SW
3/36 Church of St Mary Magdalene
11.6.59
II*
Parish church. C12 with C13 and C15 alterations; restored in 1876. Sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings, rendered at east end with plain tiled roofs.
Continuous two-bay nave, with south porch and west bellcote, and singe-bay
chancel (There was formerly a west porch or annexe extending the full width
of the building). Nave: at the west end is a large central C19 buttress
with offsets. There is a C12 round-headed light situated high up in the
gable apex because of the former annexe. Beneath it is a chamfered string
course about 12 feet above the ground terminating in corbels about three
feet from the ends of the wall. Another corbel survives at the south end
of the wall. The north elevation has an eastern C12 round-headed light and
at the western end a pair of C13 cusped lights completely restored externally.
The south elevation has a partly restored C15 window of three lights with a
four-centred head. The south porch is circa 1876, gabled and timber-framed
on a rubble base. It has scalloped bargeboards, two chamfered arch-braced
tie-beam trusses and three cusped pointed openings each side, the lower
half of which are boarded. The south doorway is C12 and has plain square
jambs and a round head. Attached to the C19 door is part of the cusped
ogee-arched head of a C14 door enriched with rosette reliefs. The west bell-
cote is of uncertain date and restored on the west face; it is gabled and
pierced by two round-headed openings with a single bell hanging in each open-
ing. Chancel: the rear arch and all the east gable have been rebuilt. There
is a C12 round-headed light in the east wall and the north wall. The south
elevation has a pair of C13 cusped lancets and an early C13 blocked doorway
with a pointed head and roll-moulded jambs. Interior: C15 nave roof has arch-
braced collar trusses and cusped wind-braces forming 2 1/2 tiers of lozenge-shaped
panels. The sawn-off ends of the former tie-beams are situated beneath eaves
level. The chancel roof is a C19 copy and the truss at the junction of nave
and chancel has a tie-beam set beneath it supported on cusped brackets pierced
with trefoils and quatrefoils. There is boarding above the tie-beam with slit
openings. There are two corbels flanking the altar, probably to support small
figures and also a corbel in the upper part of the side walls which may have
supported a former roof truss. The small reredos is possibly C17 and is in
the form of a six-bay round-headed timber blind arcade with scrolled detail on
its upper part. The Cl7 altar table has chamfered legs and shaped top rails.
The rood screen is c1500 and has thin traceried arcading, moulded mullions,
beam and rail. The circular font is C13 but entirely retooled. The pulpit
is C19. The side walls of the nave have re-used late C17 or early C18 panel-
ling. Memorials: there are two Cl7 ledger slabs in the nave to Thomas Goodere,
died 1692 and Anne Goodere, died 1695. (RCHM, Herefs, Vol III, p 104-5;
BoE, p 221).


Listing NGR: SO4418770028

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.