History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigmore, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3155 / 52°18'55"N

Longitude: -2.8606 / 2°51'38"W

OS Eastings: 341430

OS Northings: 268942

OS Grid: SO414689

Mapcode National: GBR BD.W6FG

Mapcode Global: VH76Z.C2K9

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 21 December 1983

Last Amended: 11 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081775

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150232

Location: Wigmore, County of Herefordshire, HR6

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Wigmore

Built-Up Area: Wigmore

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Wigmore Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Wigmore

Listing Text

WIGMORE CP BROAD STREET (east side)
SO 4068 - 4168
9/53 Methodist Chapel
(formerly listed as
21.12.83 The Methodist Chapel
and gates, Main Street)
GV II
Methodist chapel, now converted to dwelling. Dated 1865, converted in late
C20. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof, parapet with kneelers
and pyramidal finials at west gable end. Two-bay rectangular plan with main
entrance front at west end. Main west front has ashlar plinth and end quoins
and an ashlar string course at eaves level. Two windows with two-centred
arched heads, rusticated surrounds and multi-paned sashes with intersecting
traceried glazing bars. Central doorway has similar surround and arched head,
a pair of C20 double doors and the glazed arched head also has intersecting
traceried glazing bars A rectangular datestone on two corbels. within the
pedimented gable is inscribed "PRIMITIVE METHODIST/ CHAPEL/ ERECTED 1865/
WE WORSHIP THEE O LORD. The side elevations have a brick plinth and two
windows similar to those in the front elevation. There is a C20 kitchen
wing adjoining the rear gable end.


Listing NGR: SO4142868940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.