History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gables

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weobley, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1601 / 52°9'36"N

Longitude: -2.8746 / 2°52'28"W

OS Eastings: 340264

OS Northings: 251670

OS Grid: SO402516

Mapcode National: GBR FC.63KW

Mapcode Global: VH77K.4Y4Z

Entry Name: The Gables

Listing Date: 20 February 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081893

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149896

Location: Weobley, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Weobley

Built-Up Area: Weobley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Weobley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Dilwyn

Listing Text


SO 4051 - 4151 WEOBLEY CP BRAOD STREET (east side)

14/114 The Gables (No 7)

20.2.53

GV II*

House. C15, partly rebuilt C17, with some early C19 and mid-C20 alterations.
Timber-frame with rendered infill underbuilt in coursed rubble under a tile
roof. H-plan, the main range aligned north/south, rebuilt C17, with C15 cross-
wings. The main stack is placed axially at the north end of the hall.
West front has gabled cross-wings, formerly jettied, and is of two storeys
with one plus two plus one windows, all boxed glazing bar sashes. The central
entrance has a flat canopy with moulded stone cornice supported on square
Doric piers, and a six-panelled door. Framing two square panels high to first
floor. The two outer panels of the right-hand cross-wing each have a pair of
curved angle braces cusped to form trefoil heads, to the left-hand cross-wing
they form two-centred heads. The centre of the hall has a semi-circular head
in timber. North wall is of four square panels high with curved angle braces
and a curved bracket to the jetty. Both gables have three struts to the collar.
(RCHM, 3, p 200, no 32).


Listing NGR: SO4026451670

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.