This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1588 / 52°9'31"N
Longitude: -2.8731 / 2°52'23"W
OS Eastings: 340371
OS Northings: 251530
OS Grid: SO403515
Mapcode National: GBR FC.63ZD
Mapcode Global: VH77K.4ZZY
Entry Name: The Old Grammar School
Listing Date: 20 February 1953
Last Amended: 10 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081901
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149921
Location: Weobley, County of Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Weobley
Built-Up Area: Weobley
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Weobley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 4051 - 4151 WEOBLEY CP HEREFORD ROAD (west side)
14/139 The Old Grammar School
(formerly listed as
20.2.53 Old Grammar School,
House. Early C17, with some mid-C19 and late C20 restoration. Timber-frame
with rendered infill on a coursed rubble plinth under a tile roof. Two framed
bays aligned north/south with brick gable-end stack to north. East front of one
storey with attic lit by two framed dormer windows. The windows project slightly
with moulded corner posts, those to the right having pineapple pendants. Ground
floor has a C20 restored window. to the left copying the C17 canted oriel to the
right. This has three lights to the front, a single light to each canted side.
The mullions and transom are moulded, as is the sill supported by three scroll
brackets. The central entrance has a gabled framed porch with carved barge-
boards and a carved pendant finial. The moulded tie-beam is supported by three
carved brackets. The dentilled lintel is supported by two scrolled brackets.
The side walls are each of five open lights with turned balusters. The door
has a shaped lintel and is a studded boarded door with ornamental strap hinges.
Framing is close-studded with a mid-rail to the ground floor, the attic having
a further tier of close-studding. The gables of the dormers and the porch each
have two curved raking struts. (RCHM, 3, p 202, no 50; Parkinson, James & Ould,
EA, 1904, Old Cottages, Farmhouses and other half-timber buildings in Shropshire,
Herefordshire and Cheshire, London, pls 64 & 65).
Listing NGR: SO4037151530
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings