History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1, Bell Square

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weobley, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1603 / 52°9'36"N

Longitude: -2.8765 / 2°52'35"W

OS Eastings: 340136

OS Northings: 251694

OS Grid: SO401516

Mapcode National: GBR FC.633K

Mapcode Global: VH77K.3Y4T

Entry Name: 1, Bell Square

Listing Date: 20 February 1953

Last Amended: 10 November 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081927

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149887

Location: Weobley, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Weobley

Built-Up Area: Weobley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Weobley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Dilwyn

Listing Text


SO 4051 - 4151 WEOBLEY CP BELL SQUARE (south side)

14/105 No 1 (formerly listed
as house 17 yards east
20.2.53 of junction with Back Lane)

GV II*

House, now house and shop. C15, extended early C19, with some late C19 and
mid-C20 alterations. Timber-frame with rendered infill, extended in painted
brick, under a tile roof. L-plan, cross-wing extending to south with a central
axial stack and the hall range to the east, extended eastwards in C19.
North front of two storeys with jettied cross-wing to left. One plus four windows,
a 4-pane sash and four 2-light casements, the two to the right under segmental
heads. The ground floor has a canted beys to the left under the jetty, then a
fixed casement, two square bays under flat roofs and to right a 3-light casement
under a segmental head. Entrance to right-hand end has a half-glazed door.
Other entrance to left of centre of hall range has a panelled door. Framing
of hall is two square panels high to first floor. The cross-wing has curved
tension braces, the truss has two curved raking struts and a collar. The
bargeboards are carved with a tracery decoration. The right-hand return wall
of the cross-wing has a blocked window of three trefoiled lights with quatrefoils
in the spandrels. In the left-hand return front there is a small panel pierced
by two quatrefoils. (RCHM, 3, p 199, no 20).


Listing NGR: SO4013651694

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.