History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Upper House and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Brinsop and Wormsley, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1267 / 52°7'36"N

Longitude: -2.8431 / 2°50'35"W

OS Eastings: 342380

OS Northings: 247937

OS Grid: SO423479

Mapcode National: GBR FD.85DZ

Mapcode Global: VH77R.NTT0

Entry Name: Upper House and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 20 February 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081965

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149769

Location: Brinsop and Wormsley, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Brinsop and Wormsley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Brinsop with Wormsley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Staunton on Wye

Listing Text

WORMSLEY CP -
SO 44 NW
4/88 Upper House and
20.2.53 attached outbuildings

GV II
Farmhouse, hop kiln and byre. Probably C17, C18 and C19 with later
alterations. Timber-frame with brick nogging and weatherboards. Sandstone
rubble with tile, Welsh slate and corrugated iron roofs. L-plan with arms
extending roughly southward and eastwards, the house forming the first arm
and the byre the last with C19 hop kiln at their junction. Two storeys.
West elevation has house to centre and right with gable front to far right.
House has 3-light glazing bar casement in dormer to centre and four con-
temporary casements to gable front. Ground floor has similar casements.
Three entries, a ledged door to left and centre with a glazed door to
gable front. Truncated side stack to left. Frame is 2 to 3 1/2 square panels
high between and above brick underpinning. To left of house is framed
motion now a garage which joins hipped-roofed hop kiln with sandstone rubble
walls. Byre attached to east of hop kiln has sandstone rubble first floor
and weatherboarded timber-framed left. Four structural bays. South elevation
has two openings to tollet and five entries to ground level most with ledged
doors. Frame is two square panels high from sandstone to wall-plate. Interior
of house has fireplace in southern principal room with chamfered stone jambs
and oak lintol. North end of main range has cusped, wind-braces perhaps re-
used. Byre has queen strut trusses with V-struts above collars. One gable
has lozenge pattern and scissor struts. (RCHM, Vol III, p 214-15).

Listing NGR: SO4238047937

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.