This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1567 / 52°9'24"N
Longitude: -2.6879 / 2°41'16"W
OS Eastings: 353034
OS Northings: 251162
OS Grid: SO530511
Mapcode National: GBR FM.67VR
Mapcode Global: VH859.C1CZ
Entry Name: Well Cottage
Listing Date: 21 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149589
Location: Bodenham, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bodenham
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bodenham
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
BODENHAM CP BODENHAM
SO 55, SW
5/26 Well Cottage
House. C17 with mid-C19 and mid-C20 alterations. Part timber-framed
with rendered infill on sandstone rubble base with some painted brick
replacement walling, part dressed sandstone rubble; plain tiled roofs.
L-plan; main range aligned east/west of three bays having large external
rubble chimney with offsets and brick stack at west end. Wing of two bays
adjoins eastern end of south elevation and has a C19 external rubble chimney
with a brick stack on its east side. Single storey and attic. Framing:
three rows of square panels from sill to wall-plate. Collar and tie-beam
trusses with struts and V-struts in apex at east end and south end of wing.
Part of a possible fishbone truss visible at west end. South front elevation:
main part has a C20 bow window on the ground floor inserted in an opening with
a flat arch and a moulded dropped keyblock. To the right of it is the main
entrance which has a C20 timber-framed gabled porch with a tall rubble base
and a C20 glazed door within. At the south end of the wing is a 3-light C20
leaded casement at ground floor and attic level. The building is not marked
on the 1813 map. Dr Brian has noted that it is referred to as "late Jay's"
and "formerly Jays" in the building records. Jay's Bank Farmhouse originally
stood to the east of Bodenham Court Farmhouse (qv) and was re-erected on its
present site some time after 1813. (RCHM Herefs II, p 15, item 11; Brian, Dr A:
The Houses of the Township of Bodenham Devereux and their inhabitants in the C19
and earlier, unpublished notes).
Listing NGR: SO5303451162
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings