This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1939 / 52°11'37"N
Longitude: -2.7158 / 2°42'56"W
OS Eastings: 351168
OS Northings: 255309
OS Grid: SO511553
Mapcode National: GBR FL.3T4Q
Mapcode Global: VH852.W440
Entry Name: Church of St John of Jerusalem
Listing Date: 21 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082029
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149619
Location: Ford and Stoke Prior, County of Herefordshire, HR6
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Ford and Stoke Prior
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Stoke Prior and Ford
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
FORD CP FORD
SO 55 NW
2/56 Church of St John
Parish church. C12 origins, rebuilt in 1851 on old foundations. Coursed
sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and machine-tile roof with gable-end
parapets. Three-bay nave with west doorway and base of west bellcote,
apsidal chancel with lean-to north vestry. Norman style. Nave: ashlar
pilaster buttresses at bay divisions of side elevations. Round-headed west
doorway with two hollow mouldings on imposts and chamfered jambs. Above
doorway is a circular window with a moulded surrounded. Side elevations
have chambered eaves cornice and small round-arched windows with chamfered
jambs. The moulded base of the bellcote survives. Chancel: also has
chamfered eaves cornice and three similar windows to those in the navel The
vestry also has a similar window in its west side but the arched head has
been altered. Interior: round-headed chancel arch on moulded imposts. Roof
has arch-braced collar trusses with king struts and swept braces above the
collar. There are chevron mouldings on the braces, collars and purlins and the
wall-plates are also moulded. The arch-braces are supported on colonnettes
with trumpet-scalloped capitals. Chancel has four strips of leather (?) painted
with figures of the Apostles between the rafters. There are two medieval bowls
on the chancel floor; one is octagonal, the other has chevron mouldings and a
drainage channel (?) at one side. C19 octagonal stone font with traceried
panels on sides of bowl. Ornately carved C19 timber pulpit with arched panels,
foliated and strapwork detailing in Jacobean style. Plate includes unusual
beaker cup with domed cover and raised ornament by William Gamble of 1688.
Memorials: oval memorial with festooned urn in chancel to Mary West, died 1800.
Also memorial in nave to Thomas Watkins, died 1830. There is recorded to be a
ledger slab in the chancel to Herbert ? , died 1707, and also in the vestry
to Elizabeth (Benett) wife of ? Flackett, 1676-7. (RCHM, Herefs III, p 63,
item 1; BoE, p 132).
Listing NGR: SO5116855309
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings