History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Vern

A Grade II Listed Building in Bodenham, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1541 / 52°9'14"N

Longitude: -2.7042 / 2°42'15"W

OS Eastings: 351917

OS Northings: 250879

OS Grid: SO519508

Mapcode National: GBR FL.6HTH

Mapcode Global: VH859.24R0

Entry Name: The Vern

Listing Date: 21 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082048

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149565

Location: Bodenham, County of Herefordshire, HR1

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Bodenham

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Bodenham

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bodenham

Listing Text

BODENHAM CP
SO 55 SW
5/2 The Vern
GV II

House. Probably mid-C16, refronted circa 1730, remodelled late C18 to
early C19 with further alterations of circa 1920. Handmade brick (probably
refacing or replacing timber-frame) on sandstone rubble base with some blue
brick dressings; plain tiled hipped roof with overhanging eaves and large
brick stacks (roof raised in early C19). H-plan. Two storeys and attic
with dormers; south elevation has three-course band between main storeys
of central range and right wing and two-course band between main storeys
of left wing. Main south elevation: 1:3:1 bays. Central range has blue
brick header lozenge patterns between the first floor windows. Windows
all have cambered heads; the first floor window openings of the central
range are C18 and have alternate red and blue brick headers. There are
two ground floor 3-light C18 casements, three first floor 2-light casements
and a flat-roofed dormer with a moulded cornice and 3-light casement in the
central range. Between bays 2 and 3 is an entrance with a flat moulded canopy
on consoles, fluted pilasters and a partly-glazed C20 door. Both wings have
a 3-light C19 casement on both floors of their gable ends. Main entrance in
left side elevation and has an ashlar entablature and pilasters and a 6-panelled
door. There is a C19 flat-roofed addition to the north elevation of the
central range. Interior: remodelled in circa 1920 and late C20. Ground floor
of central part retains moulded main ceiling beams. Room on ground floor of
west wing has C18 fireplace carved with farmyard scene, water and wind mills
and a shell niche cupboard, flanked by Ionic pilasters and carved with hop
and flower garlands. (RCHM Herefs II, p 17, item 56).


Listing NGR: SO5191750879

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.