History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stockton on Teme, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3034 / 52°18'12"N

Longitude: -2.4177 / 2°25'3"W

OS Eastings: 371614

OS Northings: 267339

OS Grid: SO716673

Mapcode National: GBR BZ.X1HD

Mapcode Global: VH924.1CQJ

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 18 April 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082110

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149397

Location: Stockton on Teme, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Stockton on Teme

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Teme Valley North

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Stockton on Teme

Listing Text

STOCKTON ON TEME CP STOCKTON ON TEME
SO 76 NW

6/204 Church of St Andrew

18.4.66

GV II*


Parish church. Mid-C12, altered C14 and early C18; restored 1845-6 and
1898. Part sandstone rubble, part rendered brick with ashlar dressings;
plain tiled roofs with parapets and cross-finials at gable ends; weather-
boarded timber bell-turret with slate roof. Two-bay nave with south porch
and bell-turret at west end; single-bay chancel. Mainly Norman and
Perpendicular styles. Nave: C12; north elevation partly rebuilt 1845-6;
C14 diagonal buttresses with offsets at west end; also C14 buttress to
north elevation partly enclosed by C19 brick lean-to; C19 buttress with
offsets to south elevation with two tomb slabs of probable C12 date attached
to east side. Two-light C14 pointed west window; north and south elevations
have square-headed 2-light windows, two in north elevation are C19 replace-
ments and one in south elevation is a restored C14 window. South porch: 014;
gabled and timber-framed on a C19 brick base; scalloped bargeboards and
arch-braced inner and outer collar and tie-beam trusses forming pointed
archways; sides have five boarded lower panels and 5-light wood mullioned
openings above; long swept braces across inner corners; inside roof has
cusped swept wind-braces and there are several slip-decorated tiles of
c1450 now fixed beneath the benches. South doorway is C12 but much restored;
round arch of two orders, the outer has large roll moulding supported by
shafts with cushion capitals, chamfered abaci and moulded bases; the inner
is enriched with star-shaped mouldings; above the head is a C12 stone panel
which had a relief of a winged figure and a tree, now barely distinguishable.
Bell-turret is square and the weatherboarding is continued down to cover the
west gable end of the nave; paired rectangular louvred bell-chamber openings;
pyramidal slate roof and weathervane. Chancel: rebuilt C14 and again in C18;
east window of three pointed lights with rear arches springing from detached
shafts; lancet in north and south elevations and pointed south doorway.
Interior: C12 chancel arch similar to south doorway and has a chamfered
string course from the abaci to the side walls. Above the arch are two
C12 panels representing the Agnus Dei and probably a lion (cf the panels
at the Church of St Peter and St Paul, Eastham CP and also the south door-
ways and chancel arches at Eastham and the Church of St Michael, Knighton
on Teme CP). On the south side of the arch is a squint. Nave has a C14
roof; there are five collar and tie-beam trusses with a central strut flanked
by large swept struts and alternate subsidiary arch-braced collar trusses;
all trusses have cusped swept V-struts above the collar. Chancel has sapele
wood ceiling installed in 1962. Late C16 oak altar table and early C18 altar
rails. Octagonal font probably original one with C19 shaft and base. C19
pulpit. Parish chest at west end. Memorials: in north-east corner of chancel
late C16 painted wood tomb restored in 1853; panelled sides with coats of arms
and canopy above supported by turned posts; commemorates Thomas Walshe, died
1593. At foot of tomb is large C13 tomb slab decorated with cross and branch
stumps and having a Lombardic inscription round sides commemorating Redulphius
who became the first recorded rector of Stockton on Teme in 1284. In the nave
is a brass to William Parker, died 1508, with an 18 inch figure; also an early
C19 memorial to the Nott family and a mid-C19 memorial. Glass: late C19 east
window, early C20 south window, mid-C20 west window. A small Norman church
notable for the detailing of its south doorway and chancel arch, its C14 south
porch and nave roof and its unusual medieval memorials. (VCH 4, p 347-8;
BoE p 263-4).


Listing NGR: SO7161467339

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.