History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Tenbury Local District Council Offices

A Grade II Listed Building in Tenbury, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3135 / 52°18'48"N

Longitude: -2.5943 / 2°35'39"W

OS Eastings: 359584

OS Northings: 268537

OS Grid: SO595685

Mapcode National: GBR BR.W610

Mapcode Global: VH84K.Z3CV

Entry Name: Former Tenbury Local District Council Offices

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082408

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150830

Location: Tenbury, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR15

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Tenbury

Built-Up Area: Tenbury Wells

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Tenbury Wells

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Tenbury

Listing Text

TENBURY CP TEME STREET (east side)
SO 5868 - 5968
8/139 Former Tenbury Local
District Council Offices

GV II

Union workhouse, later Tenbury RDC offices, now police, fire station and
local authority offices. Dated 1837 and altered 1937. Brick with ashlar
dressings, slate roof, gable-end parapets with kneelers and shaped finials to
front, brick ridge stacks and two digonally set brick stacks to rear. Part
two storeys, part single-storey and attic with dormers. Main west elevation
articulated a:b:c:b:a. Outer bays have two ground floor 2-light casements and
two gabled dormers with 2-light casements. The two dormers at the left end
have scalloped bargeboards. The two right end bays have had the ground floor
windows replaced by a large C20 doorway to provide access for the fire engine
and a small single-storey wing added. The adjacent inner bays have full-height
projecting gabled wings with 3-light first floor casements, blind loopholes in
the apex of each gable and doorways with Tudor-arched heads and studded C20 doors.
There are 2-light ground floor windows in the angles. The central bay is also
gabled and has a 3-light casement in both main floors; the first floor window is
flanked by single-light casements. Above the ground floor window is a plaque
inscribed "TENBURY RURAL/ DISTRICT COUNCIL/ REMODELLED 1937". The the gable
above is a datestone recessed within a square ashlar border inscribed "UNION/
WORKHOUSE/ ERECTED/ 1837". The rear elevation appears to be largely unaltered.


Listing NGR: SO5958468537

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.