History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitney Toll Bridge (That Part in Whitney on Wye Cp)

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitney-on-Wye, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1203 / 52°7'13"N

Longitude: -3.0838 / 3°5'1"W

OS Eastings: 325890

OS Northings: 247440

OS Grid: SO258474

Mapcode National: GBR F2.8KPW

Mapcode Global: VH77M.HYKY

Entry Name: Whitney Toll Bridge (That Part in Whitney on Wye Cp)

Listing Date: 12 March 1981

Last Amended: 31 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082465

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150668

Location: Whitney-on-Wye, County of Herefordshire, HR3

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Whitney-on-Wye

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Whitney

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Whitney

Listing Text

WHITNEY ON WYE CP B 4350
SO 24 NE
5/113 Whitney Toll Bridge
(that part in Whitney
12.3.81 on Wye CP) [formerly
listed as Toll Bridge
and Toll House]
GV II
Toll bridge across River Wye. Circa 1780, part rebuilt 1797, for Tomkyns
Dew, Lord of the Manor of Whitney, and part rebuilt by the Longfellows of
Brecon and John Phillips: of Hay. Part coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings, part timber. Originally a bridge of five stone bays, the central
three bays were destroyed by a flood and rebuilt in timber. Outer stone bays
have elliptical archways, massive buttresses reinforcing the inner piers and
are surmounted by tall plain parapets which are splayed at the ends. The
central timber section consists of two double pontoons with cutwaters clad
in open timberwork and timber braces to the underside of the roadway which
has open railings on each side. The Whitney Toll Bridge Act of 1780 authorised
the building of a stone bridge across the Wye. Three bridges were destroyed
by floodwater before an Act of 1796 authorised the rebuilding of the bridge
in timber and stone. The Bridge is the only extant timber bridge on the
River Wye. (BoE, p 320; Gorvett, D: Bridge over the River Wye, 1984;
also see under Clifford CP, South Herefordshire DC).


Listing NGR: SO2589047440

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.