History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Magdalene House

A Grade II Listed Building in Willersley and Winforton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1203 / 52°7'13"N

Longitude: -3.0062 / 3°0'22"W

OS Eastings: 331206

OS Northings: 247366

OS Grid: SO312473

Mapcode National: GBR F6.8DYJ

Mapcode Global: VH77N.VY3Y

Entry Name: Magdalene House

Listing Date: 16 October 1967

Last Amended: 31 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082466

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150672

Location: Willersley and Winforton, County of Herefordshire, HR3

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Willersley and Winforton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Eardisley with Bollingham and Willersley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Eardisley

Listing Text

WILLERSLEY CP WILLERSLEY
SO 34 NW
6/117 Magdalene House
(formerly listed as
16.10.67
Church of St Mary
Magdalene)
- II
Parish church, now house, mid- to late C12, altered probably C14 and again
in C17, restored in 1877 and converted to house late C20. Sandstone rubble
with ashlar dressings, slate roof with gable-end parapets and rubble ridge
stack. Continuous former nave and chancel with south porch (the west bell
cote has been removed). Single storey and attic. Present main south elevation
has two 2-light C14 windows, much restored,and, at the western end, there is
a pair of inserted C20 lancets. The south porch is possibly C17. It is gabled
and timber-framed on a stone base with arch-braced inner and outer moulded tie-
beams forming segmental archways and 4-light openings in the side elevations.
The south doorway within is C12 and has moulded jambs and a lintel carved with
rosette, chevron and star shapes. The rear arch is round and there is a C20
door. The east end wall retains its C14 lancet. However, the west end wall
was rebuilt in the C19 and has a 2-light window. The north elevation retains
a narrow lancet at its eastern end and also has a C20 single-light, 2-light
and 3-light chamfered mullioned window and three skylights. Interior: there
is no chancel arch. The roof retains its C14 or C15 arch-braced collar trusses
which have been partly restored and also a C17 tie-beam truss at its western
end which once supported the bell cote. The fittings, which included a C17
altar table and rails, an enriched panelled reredos and some early C18 ledger
slabs, have been removed, (RCHM, III, P 21, item 1; BoE, p 322).


Listing NGR: SO3120647366

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.