History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brilley Court Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Brilley, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1333 / 52°7'59"N

Longitude: -3.0838 / 3°5'1"W

OS Eastings: 325915

OS Northings: 248881

OS Grid: SO259488

Mapcode National: GBR F2.7RPT

Mapcode Global: VH77M.HNL0

Entry Name: Brilley Court Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 August 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082517

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150582

Location: Brilley, County of Herefordshire, HR3

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Brilley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Brilley with Michaelchurch

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Whitney

Listing Text

BRILLEY CP BRILLEY
SO 24 NE
5/29 Brilley Court Farmhouse
19.8.53
- II
Farmhouse. Possible medieval origins, rebuilt and altered circa 1600, with
extensive late C18 and late C20 additions. Part timber-framed with rendered
infill on rubble base, part rubble; stone tiled roofs laid in diminishing
courses with some gable-end parapets and rubble ridge stacks. Assymetrical
plan; eastern part (including cellar) probably medieval; adjoining block was
built circa 1600, then the substantial late C18 south-west wing was added
with further extensions and refronting to the north and west in the late C20.
Two storeys, attic with dormers and cellar. Framing: visible to south and
east. Three and four panels from sill to wall-plate, short straight upper
corner braces; collar and tie-beam truss to south with two main struts, and
a rail between them with a V-strut above. North-west entrance elevation:
substantially altered and extended C20; 1:3:2 bays; C20 windows. Central
part has a mullioned-and-transomed window in the left bay, a ground floor 16-
pane sash and a first floor 2-light casement with a cambered head in the
right bay, and the central bay has a canted hipped-roofed two-storey porch
wing with a 3-light first floor casement and a doorway with a moulded archi-
trave and partly glazed double doors. The left wing has a ground floor 16-
pane sash with a cambered head and a first floor 2-light casement. The right
wing has two first floor 16-pane sashes with cambered heads. The central part
retains its C18 facade to rear including its 16-pane sash windows with
cambered heads and central entrance with a flat ashlar canopy on shaped brackets,
moulded architrave and panelled double doors. Interior is recorded to retain
its early C17 staircase with turned balusters, moulded handrails and square
newels with turned terminals. (RCHM, III, p 24, item 20).


Listing NGR: SO2591548881

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.