This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1552 / 52°9'18"N
Longitude: -3.0323 / 3°1'56"W
OS Eastings: 329474
OS Northings: 251266
OS Grid: SO294512
Mapcode National: GBR F5.66H7
Mapcode Global: VH77N.D395
Entry Name: Upper Welson
Listing Date: 19 August 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150591
Location: Eardisley, County of Herefordshire, HR3
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Eardisley
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Eardisley with Bollingham and Willersley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
EARDISLEY CP -
SO 25 SE
2/37 Upper Welson
Farmhouse. C16 or earlier, extended C17, altered mid-C19, restored late C20.
Timber-framed with rendered infill on rubble base; stone tiled roof laid in
diminishing courses and slate roof. T-plan; main range of three framed bays
aligned east/west and having an external rubble chimney with a brick stack
and bread oven adjoining its north elevation. Cross-wing is a C17 addition,
of two very wide bays and is situated at the east gable end; it has an
external rubble chimney with tiled offsets at its south end. Part single-
storey and attic with dormer, part two storeys and attic. Framing: original
part has three panels from sill to wall-plate; no trusses visible externally.
Cross-wing has four panels from sill to wall-plate, short straight braces
across the upper corners and collar and tie-beam trusses with two collars,
struts and a V-strut above the upper collar. South front elevation: windows
are mainly C20 replacements. Main range has four 3-light casements and a 2-
light casement on the ground floor. Above is a large central timber-framed
gabled dormer with a 7-light C20 ovolo-mullioned window. Main entrance in
east bay has a lean-to tiled canopy on metal brackets and a C20 door. Also
ledged and battened door in west bay. Cross-wing gable end has plank weather-
ings on all horizontal timbers except lowest rails. There are two ground and
first floor 3-light casements and a pair of attic lights. At the west end of
the main range is a hipped-roofed timber-framed outshut with a door in its
south elevation. Interior: stop-chamfered main ceiling beams. Ceiling beams
in west bay of hall decorated with painted chevron design. Attic storey of
main range retains smoke holes at eaves level and has shuttered opening above
tie-beam providing access to welt bay. C17 dog-leg staircase partly survives
and has moulded handrail. Large fireplace in main range and cross-wing; the
latter has small cupboards probably for salt and spices. C17 panelling in
cross-wing. (RCHM, III, p 55, item 34).
Listing NGR: SO2947451266
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings