This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2344 / 52°14'3"N
Longitude: -2.6379 / 2°38'16"W
OS Eastings: 356529
OS Northings: 259765
OS Grid: SO565597
Mapcode National: GBR FP.188N
Mapcode Global: VH84Y.738G
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150545
Location: Pudlestone, County of Herefordshire, HR6
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Pudlestone
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Pudleston-cum-Whyle
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 55 NE
10/55 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Tower built c1200, C13 chancel, nave and north aisle rebuilt
in 1813, south aisle added in 1850, chancel restored in 1857, late C19 north
vestry and south porch. Sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material,
part tiled and part stone slate roofs, shingle to spire. West tower, nave
with north and south aisles and south porch, chancel with north vestry.
West tower: three stages with spire rising from pyramidal roof, C13 lancet
window to north and south of ground stage, C12 semi-circular headed west
doorway, jambs of two plain orders, moulded and enriched imposts and arch
of two orders; inner plain and outer with chevron ornament; restored tympanum,
lancet windows to north and south of second stage and two lancets to each side
of the bell stage. Nave: south aisle, two 2-light C19 windows to right of C19
porch and doorway, two similar C19 windows flank central single-light window to
north aisle. Chancel: restored 2-light C14 window to south to right of two
C13 lancets, one of which is reset in an earlier doorway, the C19 north vestry
has one 2-light window and a doorway. East window of 1857 designed by Henry
Woodyer of three lights with tracery and panel of blank tracery below.
Interior: C14 tower arch, plain jambs and chamfered segmental arch, curious
arched recess above the tower arch with lancet set within it. The C19 north
and south aisles have arcades of three bays. The chancel retains C19 fittings
with panelled screen and decorative ceiling. (RCHM, Vol 3, p 169; BoE, p 273).
Listing NGR: SO5652959765
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings