History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haffield, and Service Wings, Stables and Coach House

A Grade II Listed Building in Donnington, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0009 / 52°0'3"N

Longitude: -2.4034 / 2°24'12"W

OS Eastings: 372401

OS Northings: 233682

OS Grid: SO724336

Mapcode National: GBR NRFD.MN2

Mapcode Global: VH93H.9Z80

Entry Name: Haffield, and Service Wings, Stables and Coach House

Listing Date: 18 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082616

English Heritage Legacy ID: 152426

Location: Donnington, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Donnington

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Donnington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Dymock

Listing Text

DONNINGTON CP -
SO 73 SW

6/5 Hiffield, and Service Wings
Stables and Coach House
18.11.52

- II


Country house. 1817-18 by R Smirke. Painted stucco; hipped slate roof behind
moulded cornice and blocking course in a severe neo-classical style. 2 storeys.
Garden elevation of 1:5:1 bays, the end bays are slightly advanced. Projecting
portico to centre of 6 attenuated Doric columns with plain entablature and
blocking course. Large pane sash windows on ground floor and glazing bar sashes
on first, all with outer blind boxes; plain band under first floor windows. Set-
back 2 bay wing at left. Entrance elevation of 3 bays: the outer ones are
advanced with later C19 canted bays. Central panelled door and projecting porch
with Doric columns in antis. To the rear of the house low, single storey service
wings lead to a stable block which is of painted brick and has 5 segmental headed
glazing bar sash windows and a central segmental headed archway (a later open
lean-to extends across the whole facade). Across the yard is a coach house of
brick with 2 tall doorways, under a hipped slate roof; garage lean-to at left
and shed at right. Interior: of the house has plain plasterwork and marble
fireplaces all in a minimal Greek Revival style; staircase with cast iron
balustrade and anthemion decoration; in the library is a mid-C18 fireplace
from Bowood, Wilts, carved wood with a richly foliated centre tablet set in an
acanthus frieze and under an elaborate cornice, supporting pilasters ornamented
with husk drops - inserted in 1950's (N Pevsner, The Buildings of England,
Herefordshire, 1963).


Listing NGR: SO7240133682

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.