History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Donnington Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Donnington, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9974 / 51°59'50"N

Longitude: -2.4267 / 2°25'36"W

OS Eastings: 370800

OS Northings: 233304

OS Grid: SO708333

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.J6NH

Mapcode Global: VH866.W2G3

Entry Name: Donnington Hall

Listing Date: 18 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 152428

Location: Donnington, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Donnington

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Donnington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Dymock

Listing Text

DONNINGTON CP -
SO 73 SW

6/3 Donnington Hall

18.11.52

GV II


Country house. Mid-C18, extensively remodelled and enlarged in 1909 by an
architect called Ogilvy (Pevsner) for Admiral Fanshawe. Rendered with hipped
slate roof, modillioned cornice; panelled ashlar stacks. All in an early
mid-C18 style. 2 storeys, cellars and attic to garden wing. The entrance
front is 4:3:2 bays with glazing bar sash windows throughout. The core of the
C18 house is at the left with C18 glazing bar sash windows in exposed boxes.
The centre is recessed with the middle bay slightly advanced and surmounted
by a pediment with an escutcheon and cartouche. Projecting ashlar porch with
Tuscan columns, a broken segmental pediment with arms on a plinth, blocking
course surmounted by decorative railings and crested brackets, decorative
panelled door in bolection moulded surround and with decorative keystone.
Square downpipes with enriched and dated heads. The 2 bays at the right are
the side elevation of the garden front which has an elevation of 8 windows
with 6 hipped dormers; bays 3 and 6 have glazed doors in Gibbs surrounds and
bolection moulded architraves with triple keystones rising up through the
pediment; 4 round niches on first floor, moulded surrounds and with stone brackets
for statues. Interior: Fine quality wood and plasterwork of 1909 but incor-
porating some older fragments. Hall has Tuscan pilasters and triglyph frieze;
arcade to staircase and vaulted rear passage. Re-used early C18 staircase
witn turned balusters and ramped handrail. Drawing room has central colonnade
with marble columns and fine marble fireplace. Library has late C18 fireplace
and built-in late C18 bookcases. (N Pevsner, The Buildings of England:
Herefordshire, 1963).


Listing NGR: SO7080033304

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.