History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel and Cloister at the Convent of the Holy Name

A Grade II* Listed Building in Malvern, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1304 / 52°7'49"N

Longitude: -2.3062 / 2°18'22"W

OS Eastings: 379134

OS Northings: 248052

OS Grid: SO791480

Mapcode National: GBR 0FG.KQ1

Mapcode Global: VH92Y.ZQ46

Entry Name: Chapel and Cloister at the Convent of the Holy Name

Listing Date: 4 June 1973

Last Amended: 26 October 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 152210

Location: Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR14

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Malvern

Built-Up Area: Great Malvern

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Malvern Link with Cowleigh

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Malvern Link

Listing Text

RANELAGH ROAD
1.
5245
(east side)
SO 74 NE 12/177 4.6.73 Chapel and Cloister
at The Convent of
the Holy Name
II* (star) GV
2.

Chapel. 1891-3 by Sir Ninian Comper and William Bucknell. Red brick with stone
dressings and plain-tile roof. Gothic style single range of 7 bays with 6 2-light
windows with simple geometrical tracery facing south. South porch with stone
buttresses, banding and statue of Virgin and Child in elaborate niche leads to
lean-to cloister either side with 3-light windows. Stone parapet and stack to
chapel with crocketed octagonal pinnacle to right. North side is similar but
with 3 windows. The interior is divided into bays by a shallow full-height arcade
the mouldings continuing down to the bases. Moulded shafts also continue upwards
to meet the moulded braces of the boarded and panelled wagon roof. The 2 bays
above the presbytery have elaborately decorated panels in blue and gold. Below
is a very finely carved reredos with much gilding and many figures. Gilded statue
of Virgin and Child to left under a gilded crocketed canopy. Complete set of
finely carved oak stalls around the sides of the chapel and at the west end where
there is a gallery with screen beneath, the open arches having elaborate traceried
heads. Ogee-headed doorway with double doors. Stained glass in the 4-light
east window and 1 north window. The cloister links the chapel to the rest of
the Convent of the Holy Name (qv).

The buildings were previously listed grade II.


Listing NGR: SO7913448052

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.