History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parkview (Ministry of Defence Hostel)

A Grade II Listed Building in Malvern, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1095 / 52°6'34"N

Longitude: -2.3283 / 2°19'42"W

OS Eastings: 377609

OS Northings: 245738

OS Grid: SO776457

Mapcode National: GBR 0FN.L67

Mapcode Global: VH934.L7GP

Entry Name: Parkview (Ministry of Defence Hostel)

Listing Date: 1 January 1970

Last Amended: 11 May 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082819

English Heritage Legacy ID: 152016

Location: Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR14

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Malvern

Built-Up Area: Great Malvern

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Great Malvern

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Great Malvern

Listing Text

ABBEY ROAD
1.
5245
(East Side)
Parkview (Ministry of
Defence Hostel)
(formerly listed
No 33 (Parkview Hostel))
SO 7745 NE 5/32 1.1.70.
II GV
2.
Circa 1845. Formerly Priessnitz House, built for Dr James Wilson as the 1st
large-scale hydropathic establishment in Malvern. Three storeys in stone.
Five windows: hung sashes with glazing bars, shouldered architraves, and moulded
cill bands. Ionic pilasters at ends and between windows; frieze, dentilled
cornice, blocking course. Heavy central portico with balustraded entablature
on paired columns, square outer columns, fluted Doric inner columns. Rear elevation
of 4-storeys, cement rendered, with frieze, moulded cornice, blocking course,
and strings at floor levelso. Windows 3-2-3, outer windows in full-height semi-circular
bows.
Later additions to the south and north of the central portion of 7 and 5 bays
with similar details to windows, the addition to the north being supported
on piers.


Listing NGR: SO7760945738

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.