History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Town Council Offices

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ledbury, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0372 / 52°2'14"N

Longitude: -2.4223 / 2°25'20"W

OS Eastings: 371126

OS Northings: 237731

OS Grid: SO711377

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.FV1J

Mapcode Global: VH860.Y2S2

Entry Name: The Town Council Offices

Listing Date: 18 September 1953

Last Amended: 5 November 1976

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082903

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151818

Location: Ledbury, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Ledbury

Built-Up Area: Ledbury

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Ledbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Ledbury

Listing Text


1.
5245 CHURCH LANE
(North Side)
------------
The Town Council Offices
and No 3
(formerly listed as
Ledbury Urban District
Council Offices)
SO 7137 NE 2/8 18.9.53.

II* GV

2.
The earliest part on the south is C15 and extended eastwards circa 1600. A double
gabled wing to the north (rear) was added also circa1600. C18 alterations. Exposed
timber framing. 2 storeys and dormers. On the earliest part facing Church Lane
the timber framing is close set and the 1st floor projects along the whole south
front on a moulded bressumer and corbels. 3 and 5-light casement windows in projecting
frames with old wooden mullions and transoms. The ground floor has 3 small early
C19 canted bays with glazing bars. The west end has a high brick base. The north
(rear) is timber framed and the wide panels are plastered. Interior south: dragon
ceiling beam, late C16 or early C17 panelling with cornice and fluted frieze, under
the ceiling beam are pilasters with panels of carved foliage. RCHM (65).

The Town Council offices, No 3, Public Lavatories, Hawkes and Terry Prince of
Wales Inn, The Old Grammer School and Rutherglen form a group.


Listing NGR: SO7112637731

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.