History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Noak

A Grade II Listed Building in Martley, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2414 / 52°14'29"N

Longitude: -2.3659 / 2°21'57"W

OS Eastings: 375108

OS Northings: 260420

OS Grid: SO751604

Mapcode National: GBR 0D1.GN2

Mapcode Global: VH92B.YX2M

Entry Name: The Noak

Listing Date: 12 November 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082965

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151653

Location: Martley, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Martley

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Martley

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Martley

Listing Text

SO 76 SE MARTLEY CP B 4204 (n.e. side)

3/119 The Noak

12.11.51

GV II

Farmhouse. Early C17 with 1853 addition. Brick with ashlar and plaster
dressings, plain tile roof, multiple chimney stacks with diagonally set
shafts. Plan: front range of one room depth, built 1853, with roughly square
2 room deep C17 building behind. Front elevation: 3 storeys with ashlar gable
coping and quoins. Jacobethan style, 3 ranges of windows under gables with
stepped coping, outer in projecting breaks; the windows have labels, mullions
and Tudor arched casements, 2-1-2 on second floor, outer 3-light and central
angled bay to first floor, parapeted 1:4:1 light angled bays to ground floor;
tripartite verandah porch between outer breaks with panelled parapet and Tudor
arched openings; Tudor arched entrance with stopped lable, double leaf panelled
door. Bated on left return front: "IN 1853". Rear: 3 storeys with stone
coped parapet and ashlar plinth, 3 bands which rise over the windows as square
labels, reflected by similarly shaped projections to parapet; 3 windows with
plaster dressings, 2:1:2 lights to second floor; 2 cross mullioned windows to
first floor flanking a glazing bar sash with flush exposed sash box. Central
entrance with segmental head approached by semi-circular plan stone steps much
repaired in blue brick, cellar entrance to left with lintel of a single sand-
stone block. Lead downpipes to left and right. This was the principal residence
of the Nash family, of which the Worcestershire historian, Reverend Treadway
Russell Nash, was a member. There are traces of a moat to the south. (VCH, 4,
pp 290/291).


Listing NGR: SO7510860420

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.