History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Kenelm

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clifton upon Teme, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2519 / 52°15'6"N

Longitude: -2.419 / 2°25'8"W

OS Eastings: 371493

OS Northings: 261611

OS Grid: SO714616

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.08KX

Mapcode Global: VH92B.1N1J

Entry Name: Church of St Kenelm

Listing Date: 29 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083009

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151557

Location: Clifton upon Teme, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Clifton upon Teme

Built-Up Area: Clifton upon Teme

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Clifton-upon-Teme

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Clifton upon Teme

Listing Text

SO 76 SW CLIFTON UPON TEME THE VILLAGE (north side)

2/24 Church of St Kenelm

29.7.59

GV II*

Parish church. C13, early C14, with restorations of 1843, 1847/1853 and C20.
1847/1853 restoration by James Cranston. Coursed sandstone and travertine-
like dressings, timber-framed south porch, plain tile roofs except shingled
spire. C13 nave continuous with C13 chancel, C20 north vestry, early C14
south aisle, C20 south porch and C13 west tower with broach spire. West
tower: 3 slightly receding stages divided by 2 moulded string courses, with
probably C14 diagonal buttresses, C13 single lancets in ground and first
stages (some blocked), twin flat headed lights to belfy. South aisle: C20
wooden porch to early C14 south door with 2 centred head of 2 chamfered orders
continued down the jambs without imposts, between 2 restored 2-light trefoiled
windows; east window: restored Decorated 3-light trefoiled window; west window:
restored 2-light Y-tracery window: stepped corner buttresses. Chancel: 2
restored single light trefoiled windows in south wall flanking C14 priest's
door with 2 centred head and label; east window: Decorated 3-light trefoiled
window under 2 centred head, restored tracery; North wall: late C19 vestry
with C13 single lancet to west; stepped corner buttresses. Nave: 2 restored,
Decorated windows, each of 2 lights cinquefoiled, between them an opening
blocked in the C14, probably a door. Interior: chancel: east window C14
arch of travertine-like stone; in north wall late C19 arch for organ; below
easternmost window in south wall a restored piscina, probably C14. Nave:
C14 piscina in south wall cut in one of jamb stones of arcade to south aisle:
tower arch inserted in early C14 in same pattern as south door, in wall above
tower arch a contemporary triangular headed opening. Arcade: 3 bays of early
C14, restored, with 2 centred arches of 2 chamfered orders and label, octagonal
pillars with moulded capitals. Roofs: collar rafter roof with braces to collar
and ashlar pieces; the braces from rafter to collar are halved over the collars
and cross is scissor fashion above, perhaps C13, restored; between nave and
chancel: C19 arch braced collar truss resting on probably C19 foliated corbels;
nave and south aisle roofs: collar rafter roof with braces to ccllar and ashlar
pieces, arrises of all members stopped and chamfered, restored, construction
date uncertain. Fittings: in east bay of arcade a late C13 recumbent effigy
in stone; on north wall of have: monument to Elizabeth Jeffreys died 1688,
and Henry Jeffreys died 1709 by Grinling Gibbons, there is a very similar
monument to Jane Winnington Jeffreys (died 1718) immediately to west; 2 wall
monuments of late C17 with heraldic cartouches on north and south faces of
wall at west end of arcade; font: hexagonal bowl probably C13, on octagonal
stem, probably C14; C14 heraldic stained glass in tracery of south aisle east
window. (VCH, 4, pp 252/254; BoE page 122).


Listing NGR: SO7149361611

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.