History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Bartholomew

A Grade II Listed Building in Eastoft, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6397 / 53°38'23"N

Longitude: -0.7822 / 0°46'55"W

OS Eastings: 480612

OS Northings: 416603

OS Grid: SE806166

Mapcode National: GBR QVZB.GZ

Mapcode Global: WHFDS.YSP2

Entry Name: Church of Saint Bartholomew

Listing Date: 14 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083174

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165384

Location: Eastoft, North Lincolnshire, DN17

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Eastoft

Built-Up Area: Eastoft

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Eastoft St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Eastoft

Listing Text

SE 81 NW EASTOFT HIGH STREET
(west side)

4/4 Church of St Bartholomew
14.2.67

GV II

Parish church. 1855 by J L Pearson. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with
smooth ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. Gothic Revival style. 4-bay
aisled nave with south porch and eastern bellcote, 3-bay chancel with vestry
adjoining to north. Chamfered plinth, quoins, sill string course
throughout. Aisles have angle buttresses, buttresses between bays with
offsets, twin lancets to north and south sides, single east and west
lancets. West end has buttresses flanking nave with 3 lancets beneath
foiled wheel window in roll-moulded surround, with shafted spokes and
central quatrefoil. Large bellcote straddles nave east gable, with moulded
offsets, twin pointed chamfered bell openings with single segmental-pointed
bell opening above, coped gable with wrought-iron cross finial. Porch:
pointed double-chamfered arch on shafted responds with moulded capitals and
bases; nailhead-moulded hoodmould with foliate stops. Stone-coped gable
with cross finial. Pointed inner arch of 2 orders with filleted inner order
and dogtooth-moulded outer order on shafted responds with nailhead mouldings
to capitals and bases; hoodmould with foliate stops. Open scissor-braced
roof with projecting carved ends to the sole-pieces. Chancel has angle
buttresses, 3 lancets to south, single lancet to north, 3 stepped east
lancets. Gabled vestry has small pointed 2-light transomed north window
with trefoiled lights below pierced quatrefoil with carved foliate foils;
tall stack with offsets, chamfered shaft and gableted cap. Corbelled eaves
cornice. Steeply-pitched roofs: nave and aisles under continuous roof.
Exposed rafter ends, stone-coped gables with carved stone cross finials,
crested ridge tiles throughout. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed double-
chamfered arches on quatrefoiled piers and responds with moulded capitals
and water-holding bases on square pedestals. Filleted and roll-moulded
reveal and shafted spokes to west wheel window. Keeled segmental-pointed
reveal to south door. Pointed chancel arch of 2 orders with chamfered outer
order, filleted inner order and keeled moulding to soffit, on responds with
outer chamfer and shafted inner order with moulded capitals and bases.
Chancel has wide chamfered segmental-pointed arch to north side, sill string
course. North and south lancets have pointed chamfered arches on moulded
corbels with nailhead and foliate mouldings, the south-east window also with
a seat below flanked by trefoiled chamfered arches in the angles of the
splayed reveal. East lancets have flanking shafts with rings and capitals
with nailhead moulding, arches and jambs with dogtooth moulding, hoodmoulds
with carved stops. Boarded trussed rafter roofs throughout: 3-part roofs to
aisles, 7-part roofs to nave and chancel, with scissor braces, collars and
carved ends to the sole-pieces. Ornate octagonal carved stone pulpit with
blind arcading and quatrefoil frieze with dogtooth moulding. Carved font
with trefoiled panels and foliate motifs to bowl, and clustered filleted
shaft with moulded base. Original pattern-work stained glass of 1855 to
chancel, east aisle windows and west windows, with small Crucifixion to
central east window. Carved wood altar rails with trefoiled balustrade.
5-bay chancel screen with blind-traceried lower panels and trefoiled upper
panels. Original pews, choir stalls with carved bench ends. N Pevsner, The
Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding, 1959, p 189.


Listing NGR: SE8061216603

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.