History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Oswald

A Grade II Listed Building in Luddington and Haldenby, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6451 / 53°38'42"N

Longitude: -0.7384 / 0°44'18"W

OS Eastings: 483499

OS Northings: 417248

OS Grid: SE834172

Mapcode National: GBR RV89.Y2

Mapcode Global: WHFDT.MMMZ

Entry Name: Church of Saint Oswald

Listing Date: 1 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083179

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165402

Location: Luddington and Haldenby, North Lincolnshire, DN17

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Luddington and Haldenby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Luddington St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Eastoft

Listing Text

SE 81 NW LUDDINGTON AND CHURCH LANE
HALDENBY (east end)
Luddington
4/20 Church of St Oswald
(formerly listed under
1.3.67 Luddington Parish)

- II


Parish church. 1855. Tooled sandstone ashlar with limestone ashlar
dressings, Welsh slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. West tower with
projecting octagonal stair turret to south-west angle, 4-bay aisled nave
with south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining to north. 3-stage
tower: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, moulded string courses
between stages. First stage has single lancets with hoodmoulds to south and
west sides, slit lights to stair turret. Second stage has oculi to north,
west and south sides. Third stage has angle pilaster buttresses, pointed 2-
light plate-traceried belfry openings with pierced quatrefoils over lancets,
hoodmoulds; corbel table, moulded string course. Octagonal broach spire
with pierced quatrefoils to alternate sides, carved finial. Aisles have
buttresses to each end, sill string course, single and twin lancets to north
and south sides, single lancets to east and west sides. Porch has
buttresses flanking pointed chamfered arch with hoodmould beneath coped
gable. Small single lancets to sides. Pointed chamfered inner arch.
Chancel: diagonal buttresses, 3 lancets to south, single lancet to north,
stepped triple east lancets with pierced oval light above. Twin east
lancets to vestry. Exposed rafter ends, coped gables with shaped kneelers
throughout. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on
cylindrical piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases.
Narrow segmental-pointed chamfered tower arch with inner pointed chamfered
order dying into chamfered jambs. Shouldered chamfered doorway to tower
staircase. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with continuous outer
chamfer and inner order on short wall shafts with moulded capitals and bases
terminating in carved knotted tails. Pointed chamfered door to vestry with
broach stops. Trussed rafter nave and chancel roofs. Monuments in chancel:
good Rococco white marble wall tablet to Worsop family of 1758 with
inscribed oval medallion supported by scrolls with urns and floral drops,
small medallion above with faded painted arms, and plain base supported by
winged cherub's head; plain segmental-headed wall tablet to Elizabeth Lister
of 1729; pedimented wall tablet to Gee family of Haldenby Park of 1852 by
Skelton of York; wall tablet to Rev James Stovin Lister of 1844 by Fisher of
York, with carved dove and arms. Wall tablet in nave to Captain Augustus
Webb of 1854 by Waudby of York, recording death from wounds received in
Charge of Light Brigade at Balaclava. Wall tablet in south aisle to John
Hopkinson of 1820, with damaged urn on segmental-headed base. C19 octagonal
ashlar pulpit; ashlar font with winged angels and ballflower frieze to bowl,
octagonal shaft with moulded base. C19 stained glass, including east and
south-east windows of 1855-6 by Gibbs of London. Stands in an imposing
isolated position on a mound in the flat marshlands midway between Garthorpe
and Luddington. The medieval church which it superceded was illustrated by
C Nattes in 1794 (Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library) and by G Fairbairn
in the mid C19 (copy of print hanging in north aisle). The late C12 font
now in the grounds of Waterton Hall, Garthorpe and Fockerby parish (qv) may
have come from Luddington Church. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of
England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 308.


Listing NGR: SE8349917248

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.