History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Smithy

A Grade II Listed Building in Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4929 / 53°29'34"N

Longitude: -0.7811 / 0°46'52"W

OS Eastings: 480961

OS Northings: 400269

OS Grid: SE809002

Mapcode National: GBR QXZ1.PM

Mapcode Global: WHFFK.ZG6M

Entry Name: The Smithy

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083224

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165204

Location: Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire, DN9

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Owston Ferry

Built-Up Area: Owston Ferry

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Owston Ferry St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
East Ferry

Listing Text

SE 8000-8100 OWSTON FERRY HIGH STREET
(south side)

21/140 The Smithy

GV II

Smithy and engineering shop. 1859 for George Laming; bay to right raised to
2 storeys in later C19 - early C20. Red brick. Pantile roof. Rectangular
on plan. 2 storeys, 3 first-floor windows. Waggon entrance to right with
double board doors on strap hinges beneath rubbed-brick basket arch with
raised keystone bearing carved horseshoe and raised inscription G L. Pair
1859
of round-headed windows to left with recessed double board doors on strap
hinges, stone sills and rubbed-brick arches. All ground-floor openings have
flush stone hinge-mounting blocks. First floor: pair of 16-pane casements
to left with small panes, stone sills, and lintels at eaves level. Right
bay has 3-light wooden mullioned-and-transomed window with glazing bars and
stone sill beneath segmental arch. Painted sign between two windows to
left:

LAMING & SON
AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERS
IMPLEMENT AGENTS

Dentilled brick eaves cornice to original left section. Corniced end stack
to left, ridge stack to right. Right gable end has ground-floor casement
with iron glazing bars and small panes beneath segmental arch, outline of
former gable above. Interior retains original fittings; not investigated.
An unusual survival. Included partly for historical interest.


Listing NGR: SE8096100269

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.