History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Haxey, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4901 / 53°29'24"N

Longitude: -0.848 / 0°50'52"W

OS Eastings: 476530

OS Northings: 399885

OS Grid: SK765998

Mapcode National: GBR QXJ2.6M

Mapcode Global: WHFFJ.YJCR

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165163

Location: Haxey, North Lincolnshire, DN9

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Haxey

Built-Up Area: Haxey

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Haxey St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Haxey

Listing Text

SK 7699-7799 HAXEY CHURCH STREET
(north side)

22/101 The Old Vicarage

GV II

Vicarage. 1845-6 by G T Andrews of York with minor later C19 alterations;
service ranges to rear demolished in C20. White brick in Flemish bond with
sandstone ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof. Double-depth plan, with 2-
room, central entrance hall east front (right room now garage), and 3-room
garden front with central canted bay. 2 storeys. East front: 4 bays,
including narrower bay to right. Ashlar plinth. Tripartite entrance has
stone step to panelled door and 3-pane overlight in Doric doorcase with twin
pilasters flanking narrow round-headed sidelights, entablature with moulded
cornice and hood. Single slightly recessed 12-pane sashes to each side with
ashlar sills beneath rubbed-brick flat arches; later C19 inserted 4-pane
sash to right in similar surround. First floor: ashlar sill band, three 12-
pane sashes to left, inserted 4-pane sash to right. Deep overhanging eaves.
Hipped roof. Corniced ridge stack to right. South front: 3 bays,
symmetrical. Central bay breaks forward with ground-floor canted bay window
with steps to full-length 12-pane sashes beneath brick flat arches, coved
eaves cornice, hipped roof. Side bays have steps to full-length tripartite
sashes with glazing bars beneath brick flat arches. First-floor sill band
and 12-pane sashes similar to those on east front, 3 to central bay, one
each to side bays. Hipped roof, pair of corniced ridge stacks. Interior.
Entrance hall with elliptical-arched opening to stairhall. Open-well
cantilevered staircase with wreathed mahogany handrail, plain stick
balusters and profiled cheek-pieces. Coved ceiling cornices to hall and
main rooms. Pilastered marble chimney-piece to south-west dining room with
modillioned cornice and roundel ornament. Panelled window shutters and
window architraves with cornices to main rooms; 4-panelled doors in
architraves throughout. Somewhat similar to Andrews' vicarage of 1846-7 at
Winteringham, Glanford Borough, Humberside (qv). Architect's drawing in
Lincolnshire Archive Office.


Listing NGR: SK7653099885

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.