History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wesley Manse

A Grade II Listed Building in Epworth, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5255 / 53°31'31"N

Longitude: -0.8227 / 0°49'21"W

OS Eastings: 478144

OS Northings: 403851

OS Grid: SE781038

Mapcode National: GBR QWPN.PX

Mapcode Global: WHFFC.BNH3

Entry Name: Wesley Manse

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083278

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165140

Location: Epworth, North Lincolnshire, DN9

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Epworth

Built-Up Area: Epworth

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Epworth St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Epworth

Listing Text

SE 7803-7903 EPWORTH HIGH STREET
(south side)

20/79 No 37 (Wesley Manse)


GV II

Manse. 1888-9 by Charles Bell. Rock-faced ashlar to front and sides,
yellow brick to rear; ashlar dressings throughout. Welsh slate roof.
L-shaped on plan. Forms east side of courtyard. 2 storeys. North front
has projecting gabled wing to left and single-window range to right with
single-storey entrance porch in angle. Chamfered plinth, quoins, flush sill
bands to ground and first floors. Porch has buttress with offsets to right
angle, step to chamfered rounded-trefoil arch beneath pointed hoodmould with
foliate stops, board door with ornate wrought ironwork, coped gable with
shaped kneelers and trefoil finial; right side has sill string course,
trefoiled window beneath pointed hoodmould with carved stops. Gabled wing
to left has projecting ground-floor square bay window with 3 lights to front
and single lights to sides beneath moulded cornice and hipped roof; pair of
narrow first-floor ashlar windows beneath segmental relieving arch;
chamfered round-headed slit light to attic. Right return forms west front:
single-bay with porch to left, and twin projecting single-bay gabled ranges
to right. Central range breaks forward, with a pair of narrow sashes
beneath segmental relieving arches; right range has 3-light window beneath
segmental relieving arch. Both ranges have 2-light first-floor windows with
flush lintel bands beneath segmental-pointed relieving arches; moulded
string courses, blind quatrefoil panels to gables. Range set back to left
has single-light window beside porch. East side has small trefoiled light
beneath pointed hoodmould with carved stops. All windows (apart from
trefoil lights) have sashes with 4 or 6 small panes over 2 or 4 larger
panes, chamfered mullions and reveals, quoined surrounds. Coped gables with
shaped kneelers and trefoil finials throughout. Crested ridge tiles. Stack
to rear with ashlar string course and shaft. Interior contains original
open-well staircase with turned balusters, moulded plaster cornices,
panelled doors in architraves. Part of an unusually ornate group of
Methodist buildings, erected in commemoration of the founder of Methodism,
John Wesley (1703-91), and the Wesley family of Epworth.


Listing NGR: SE7814403851

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.