History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Amcotts, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6167 / 53°37'0"N

Longitude: -0.7079 / 0°42'28"W

OS Eastings: 485571

OS Northings: 414131

OS Grid: SE855141

Mapcode National: GBR RVHM.J7

Mapcode Global: WHGG5.3C55

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Last Amended: 22 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083282

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165056

Location: Amcotts, North Lincolnshire, DN17

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Amcotts

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Amcotts St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Eastoft

Listing Text

SE 81 SE AMCOTTS CHURCH STREET
(south side)

5/1 The Old Rectory

GV II

Rectory, now house. 1862 by James Fowler of Louth, Diocesan Architect.
Renovations of c1980. Red brick in English bond with ashlar and polychrome
brick dressings. Welsh slate roof. Irregular double-depth plan with
entrance to north. 2 storeys. Chamfered brick plinth. North front: 3
gabled bays, with projecting wing to right. Central enclosed single-storey
porch in angle of right wing has buttress to left with offset, pointed
polychrome brick arch with ashlar keystone beneath flat roof; inner entrance
with part-glazed panelled door in chamfered reveal beneath moulded ashlar
lintel. To right, unequal 9-pane sash in quoined chamfered ashlar surround
beneath flush herringbone brick panel and polychrome brick segmental-pointed
relieving arch with flush ashlar key. To left, an unequal 6-pane sash in
similar surround. First floor: similar 6-pane sashes to side bays, and
central pointed plate-traceried 2-light window above porch with lancets and
cinquefoiled roundel beneath polychrome brick arch. Flush blue and yellow
brick bands at impost and sill levels. Projecting stepped brick eaves to
gables. Corniced axial stacks with tumbled-in brick to offsets. Right
return forms garden front of 2 bays; gabled wing projecting to right has
ground-floor brick canted bay window with sashes in quoined ashlar surrounds
below hipped roof; 9-pane sash to left bay in similar surround and with
relieving arch as to north elevation, single 6-pane first-floor windows to
each bay (that to left beneath gable) in similar surrounds. Small central
4-pane sash in angle of wing with ashlar surround. Similar brick bands and
gable details to north front, lateral stack to right return. South side has
similar windows, C20 conservatory in angle. Interior. Original details
include: Gothic-style chimney-pieces, moulded plaster cornices, panelled
doors in architraves. Similar in style to Fowler's Vicarage of 1863 at
North Street, West Butterwick (qv).


Listing NGR: SE8557114131

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.