History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dirtness Pumping Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Belton, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5794 / 53°34'45"N

Longitude: -0.8692 / 0°52'9"W

OS Eastings: 474963

OS Northings: 409789

OS Grid: SE749097

Mapcode National: GBR QWC1.LM

Mapcode Global: WHFF4.M98B

Entry Name: Dirtness Pumping Station

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Last Amended: 22 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165058

Location: Belton, North Lincolnshire, DN17

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Belton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Belton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Sandtoft

Listing Text

HUMBERSIDE
BOOTHFERRY
5262

SE 70 NW BELTON A 18
(south side)
Dirtness
6/3 Dirtness Pumping Station

GV II

Drainage pumping station. 1867. Red brick in English bond, with polychrome
brick and ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Sandstone ashlar culvert and
revetments to bank. Rectangular on plan with engine house flanked by ranges
to north and south, the latter (present pump room) standing over the culvert
carrying the Boating Dike / North Engine Drain. Tall single-storey engine
house flanked by lower single-storey ranges. Chamfered plinth. East side:
engine house has twin pilasters with decorative brick capitals supporting
full-height round arch with decorative flush brick bands, over a recessed
brick panel containing tall twin pointed window with bracketed sill, slender
cast-iron nook-shafts and Gothick glazing, beneath round arch of black brick
with polychrome impost bands. Right window has C20 steps to inserted door.
Gable has trefoiled polychrome brick frieze forming raking cornice, moulded
brick kneelers, and stone coping with carved heads in trefoiled gablets to
each end. Single-bay south pump-room range slightly set back to left stands
on a slightly recessed segmental arch over the ashlar-lined sluice: angle
pilaster to left and brick and ashlar corbel to right carry round arch with
carved ashlar Neptune head keystone over recessed panel containing
segmental-headed window with glazing bars (replaced by C20 glazing to lower
half), with small blocked window above. Corbelled polychrome brick raking
cornice, stone-coped gable. 4 bay north range set back to right has blind
arcade of round arches on pilasters with moulded capitals: waggon entrance
to right arch has pair of board doors beneath fanlight with vertical glazing
bars, arches to left have recessed panels with brick bands at impost level
and lunettes with radial glazing bars. Twin gables, each with a blind
oculus, corbelled brick raking cornices and stone coping. South side: 5-bay
blind arcade of round arches on pilasters with black brick lozenge ornament
and polychrome brick capitals; double board doors to first bay beneath
timber lintel, 16-pane sash to central bay beneath segmental arch; corbelled
polychrome brick cornice. North side has similar 4-bay blind arcade, partly
obscured by C20 addition to right. West side similar to east, except that
engine house has tall round-headed window with glazing bars, range to right
has 16-pane sash and small 4-pane window in round-arched panel with carved
lion's head keystone, and range to left has blind arcades. Interior.
Original machinery removed from engine house. Range, to north contains cast-
iron columns. The pumping station originally contained a James Watt low
pressure condensing beam engine from the Soho, Birmingham, works, driving a
scoop wheel. Refitted in 1928, and again in 1952 with electrically driven
pumps. V Cory, Hatfield and Axholme, an Historical Review, 1986, pp 90-91.


Listing NGR: SE7496309789

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.