History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Syphon Carrying North Idle Drain Under Hatfield Waste Drain Approximately 280 Metres North of Sandtoft Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Belton, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5688 / 53°34'7"N

Longitude: -0.8775 / 0°52'38"W

OS Eastings: 474435

OS Northings: 408601

OS Grid: SE744086

Mapcode National: GBR QW95.TF

Mapcode Global: WHFF4.HKCH

Entry Name: Syphon Carrying North Idle Drain Under Hatfield Waste Drain Approximately 280 Metres North of Sandtoft Grange

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083296

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165083

Location: Belton, North Lincolnshire, DN8

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Belton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Belton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Sandtoft

Listing Text

SE 70 NW BELTON SANDTOFT
SE 7442 0860

6/27 Syphon carrying North
Idle Drain under Hatfield
Waste Drain approximately
280 metres north of
Sandtoft Grange

- II

Drain syphon. 1795-1813. Revetment walls probably later. Tooled ashlar
facing and parapet; brick and ashlar tunnels and revetment walls.
Approximately 20 metres long north-south. North and south sides both have
2 segmental-headed tunnel entrances with rusticated voussoirs flanking a
central pointed cutwater; band and coped parapet between rectangular piers
above. The tunnels slope sharply down below the waterline. Adjoining
stone-coped revetment walls to the lower drain curve out to each side.
Carries North Idle Drain under Hatfield Waste Drain and a trackway running
alongside. North Idle Drain was cut between 1629-39 by Cornelius Vermuyden;
Hatfield Waste Drain (formerly Cataline or New Cut) was part of improvements
made c1795 by Samuel Foster, or c1813 by Thackray, following John Rennie's
proposals. Similar to the larger syphon south of the A18 in Crowle parish
(qv). MHAD "How the Drains Came", Part 2, Appleby Frodingham News, Vol 15,
No 4, 1962, pp 30-1; V Cory, Hatfield and Axholme, an Historical Review,
1986.


Listing NGR: SE7443508601

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.