History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Oswald

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hotham, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7998 / 53°47'59"N

Longitude: -0.6435 / 0°38'36"W

OS Eastings: 489440

OS Northings: 434580

OS Grid: SE894345

Mapcode National: GBR RSYH.GL

Mapcode Global: WHGF7.2RVB

Entry Name: Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 16 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083305

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165003

Location: Hotham, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO43

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Hotham

Built-Up Area: Hotham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hotham St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
North Newbald

Listing Text

SE 8934 HOTHAM MAIN STREET
(east side)

16/40 Church of St Oswald
16.12.66

GV II *

Church. Early C12 tower restored in 1789; early C19 extension to nave; nave
and chancel heavily restored 1905 by F S Brodrick. Ashlar and rubble, with
brick nave extension, plain tile roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with single-
bay extension to north, 2-bay chancel with vestry to north. Broad, squat
tower with round-arched west door, 2 roll-moulded orders on scalloped
capitals within the soffit of the arch. 2-light cinque-cusped pointed
window above breaks zigzag band which is continuous around all three exposed
faces. Tower refaced above window. Round-arched belfry windows to each
face. Nave south side: porch with pointed doorway to west and 2 pointed
windows with 3 stepped lights and continuous sill band to east. Stepped
buttress at junction of nave and chancel. Nave north side: 3-light window
with pointed tracery. Stone coped gables, ridge crosses to nave and
chancel. Extension has pointed window and round-arched doorway to west
facade and flat-headed doorway and round-arched window to north facade.
Vestry: gabled to north with 2-light pointed window. Chancel south side:
2-light window with geometric tracery and blocked priest's door. East end
3-light pointed window with geometric tracery. Interior: tower arch of
2 orders on scalloped capitals with zigzag to outer order. Pevsner N,
Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 1972.


Listing NGR: SE8944034580

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.