History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Elgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Frodingham, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9654 / 53°57'55"N

Longitude: -0.3403 / 0°20'25"W

OS Eastings: 508979

OS Northings: 453416

OS Grid: TA089534

Mapcode National: GBR VQ2L.48

Mapcode Global: WHGDL.RL4G

Entry Name: Church of St Elgin

Listing Date: 20 September 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083362

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166944

Location: North Frodingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: North Frodingham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: North Frodingham St Elgin

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Brigham

Listing Text

TA 05 SE NORTH FRODINGHAM CHURCH LANE
(north side)

10/85 Church of St Elgin

20/9/66
GV II*


Church. C15 west tower, belfry added 1892 by Temple Moore, nave and chancel
1878 by H Roumieau Gough. Ashlar to tower, random cobbles with freestone
dressings elsewhere, timber eaves cornice, pantiled roofs. West tower,
4-bay nave with south porch and north aisle, 3-bay chancel. 3 stages to
west tower with chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses, and hollow-chamfered
string-courses. 3-light belfry openings with tracery in Perpendicular style
under pointed heads and hood-moulds. Blank arcading under pierced,
crenellated, parapet. 3-light west window with Perpendicular, brattished,
tracery in pointed opening under stopped hood-mould: C19 niche and image
above. Nave: lancet to west, pointed windows elsewhere with Geometrical
tracery. Pointed south door with stopped hood-mould. C15 niche with ribbed
vault, crocketed gablet, and muntins supported on earlier corbels, with face
masks, containing C19 image. Modillion eaves cornice, raised coped gable
with cross finial. Chancel: chamfered plinth and diagonal buttresses.
Lancet windows throughout. Round-headed priest's door with moulded imposts,
chamfered head and jambs, and hood-mould. Modillion eaves cornice. 3-light
pointed east window, with Geometrical tracery, and hood-mould. 2 ashlar
bands over, upper incorporating blank, cusped, vesica. Raised coped gable
with Celtic cross finial. Interior: octagonal piers to north arcade with
moulded octagonal abaci supporting pointed double-chamfered arches. C10
cross fragment and undated carving of Atlas at west end of north aisle.


Listing NGR: TA0897953416

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.