History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Driffield, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0063 / 54°0'22"N

Longitude: -0.4606 / 0°27'38"W

OS Eastings: 500988

OS Northings: 457798

OS Grid: TA009577

Mapcode National: GBR TQ73.2L

Mapcode Global: WHGDB.WKVJ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 25 January 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083376

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166868

Location: Driffield, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Driffield

Built-Up Area: Driffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Little Driffield St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Great Driffield

Listing Text

TA 00 57 DRIFFIELD LITTLE DRIFFIELD

13/9 Church of St Mary
-

- II*


Church. C12 origins, nave and chancel rebuilt 1889 by Temple Moore, C15
west tower. 2 bay chancel, 4-bay nave with north porch, west tower. Latter
of 2 stages with chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses, and hollow-chamfered
string at belfry level. West window of 2 pointed lights. 2-light belfry
openings with Curvilinear tracery, corbel table, with masks, to parapet.
Pyramidal roof with weathercock. Nave: chamfered plinth and buttresses with
offsets. 2-light windows with cusped tracery. Blocked south door to nave
with attached shafts and pointed head with keel moulding and ball ornament.
Raised coped gable. Chancel has round-headed south door with continuous
chamfer and east window of 3 lights with elaborate Curvilinear tracery
flanked by buttresses. Raised coped gable with cross finial. Interior: C12
tower arch, apparently inserted into an older structure, with 3 human faces
carved onto each impost. The nave contains a 9-sided tub font and an early
C18 pulpit. In the north of the chancel is a C19 plaque commemorating the
burial there of King Alfred of Northumbria in AD 705. On the opposite wall
is a plaque recording the death of Lora, Viscountess Downe (d 1812) the
inscription on which refers the reader to the Gentleman's Magazine for
May 1812 for a more full description of her 'character and other
particulars'. large number of sculptured fragments have been incorporated
into the exterior fabric of the nave including a pre-Conquest interlace
slab.


Listing NGR: TA0098857798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.