History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burton Fleming, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1357 / 54°8'8"N

Longitude: -0.3431 / 0°20'35"W

OS Eastings: 508348

OS Northings: 472368

OS Grid: TA083723

Mapcode National: GBR VN1M.H6

Mapcode Global: WHGCT.P9ST

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 30 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083394

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166808

Location: Burton Fleming, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Burton Fleming

Built-Up Area: Burton Fleming

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Burton Fleming St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
North Burton

Listing Text

TA 07 SE BURTON FLEMING FRONT STREET
(east side)

4/36 Church of St Cuthbert
30.6.66
- II*


Church. C12 arcade and chancel, early C13 west tower. Nave, south
porch, and chancel extensively remodelled in C17 and C18. Ashlar,
brick, and cobbles, plain tiled roofs. West tower, 4-bay nave, 2-bay
chancel. Nave: south aisle demolished and arcade blocked in C18. South
doorway incorporates reset C12 jambs of 2 orders of attached columns
with water-leaf capitals. Left abacus recut in late C14. 3 windows
with pointed brick heads, 2 to east of south door with late C20 glazing,
1 to west with late C18 Gothick iron glazing bars. Small lancet at
higher level to east in plain brick surround with stone keyblock.
Bronze sundial. Coped brick parapet, plain close verges. Chancel with
chamfered plinth, 2-light mullioned square-headed window, to south side
rendered brick parapet with stone coping. 3-light east window with
Perpendicular tracery, raised coped gable. West tower of 4 stages, with
hollow-chamfered plinth to west face returning for a short distance to
north and south, and massive buttresses to north-east and south-east
angles, the latter cut back. 2-light west window with Decorated
tracery. 2 string courses and an offset at belfry floor level. Lancets
to belfry, enriched by balls, chevrons, and cusping. Coped parapet
conceals low pitch roof. Interior: early C13 double-chamfered tower
arch under hood mould with roundel stops. Partly obscured south arcade
and east respond has round piers and capitals with scallops and
interlace under octagonal abaci supporting round-headed arches of
2 orders, the inner with nailhead ornament, the outer with narrow
chamfer. Rebuilt pointed chancel arch retains C12 jambs of 2 chamfered
orders and nook shaft with scallop capital. C12 tub font on circular
pillar and base with 4 carved heads. Royal Arms of 1724 over south
door.


Listing NGR: TA0834872368

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.