History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorngumbald, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7206 / 53°43'14"N

Longitude: -0.1713 / 0°10'16"W

OS Eastings: 520764

OS Northings: 426459

OS Grid: TA207264

Mapcode National: GBR WT7F.P0

Mapcode Global: WHHGZ.BRN3

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 December 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083443

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166673

Location: Thorngumbald, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Thorngumbald

Built-Up Area: Thorngumbald

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Thorngumbald St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Hedon

Listing Text

THORNGUMBALD MAIN ROAD
TA 22 NW
(south side)
Thorngumbald
4/26 Church of St Mary
16.12.66

- II
Parish church. Medieval, with C12 doors to nave and vestry, the latter
reset; refenestrated in C15. Upper sections of walls rebuilt in C17 or
earlier. C18 restorations and new vestry; tower rebuilt 1758. Restorations
of 1858 included replacing C18 tower with bellcote, reflooring, reseating,
reroofing. C20 brick repairs to south side. Random limestone rubble to
lower sections of north, south and east sides with C17-C18 brick above;
coursed rubble and squared limestone to west side; Cl8-C19 brick gables;
limestone ashlar dressings, banded slate roof. Vestry in brown brick with
pantile roof. 4-bay nave/chancel occupies nave of former church, with north
and south doors, west bellcote, and vestry adjoining south side of chancel.
Buttresses with offsets to north, south and east sides. North side: C19
pointed double-chamfered door with hoodmould; pair of restored pointed 2-
light traceried windows. South side: blocked C12 round-headed chamfered
door with plain chamfered imposts and hoodmould; 3 traceried windows similar
to north. C19 pointed 3-light traceried east window. C19 cinquefoiled west
lancet with carved keystone beneath pointed arch recess in corbelled lower
section of bellcote with coped gable, shaped kneelers and finial. Vestry
has tumbled-in brick to raised gable with later end stack. Interior. Nave
open to chancel. Reset C12 round-headed chamfered door to vestry with plain
chamfered imposts and hoodmould with nailhead moulding. Fielded-panel dado
to sanctuary, perhaps reused sections of former C18 box pews; plain
panelling to remainder. C19 roof. C12 cylindrical tub font on later
octagonal shaft and base. Royal Arms of 1858. Painting of church before
1858 restoration hanging in nave. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England:
Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 355; Victoria County History: York, East
Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 126.


Listing NGR: TA2076426459

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.