History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Menagerie Approximately 45 Metres to West of Burton Constable Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burton Constable, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8129 / 53°48'46"N

Longitude: -0.2039 / 0°12'14"W

OS Eastings: 518352

OS Northings: 436676

OS Grid: TA183366

Mapcode National: GBR WS0B.NX

Mapcode Global: WHHGK.VF29

Entry Name: The Menagerie Approximately 45 Metres to West of Burton Constable Hall

Listing Date: 16 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166682

Location: Burton Constable, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU11

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Burton Constable

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Swine with Ellerby St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Withernwick

Listing Text

BURTON CONSTABLE BURTON CONSTABLE PARK
TA 1836-1936
9/7 The Menagerie
approximately 45 metres
to west of Burton
16.12.66 Constable Hall
- II *
Menagerie, now dwelling. c1770 with late C20 restorations. Probably by
Thomas Lightoller for William Constable. Reddish-brown brick in English
garden wall bond with red brick and ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof.
2-storey projecting central bay with single-storey, single-bay wings and
range to rear. Centre: ashlar plinth. Central Venetian window, now boarded
over, with moulded ashlar imposts at first-floor level; Tuscan columns and
pilasters set in recessed brick arch with red brick head. Open pedimented
gable with dentilled moulding which continues as eaves cornice to sides.
Wings, alike. Plinth. Continuous ashlar sill band. Central elliptically-
arched 12-pane sash with margin lights under red brick head. Dentilled
eaves band. Roofs hipped to front. Rear stacks. To left side of wing a
semicircular bay. In process of restoration at time of resurvey.


Listing NGR: TA1835236676

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.