History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Most Holy Sacrement

A Grade II Listed Building in Burton Constable, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8305 / 53°49'49"N

Longitude: -0.1946 / 0°11'40"W

OS Eastings: 518916

OS Northings: 438653

OS Grid: TA189386

Mapcode National: GBR WS24.NL

Mapcode Global: WHHGC.ZZH9

Entry Name: Church of the Most Holy Sacrement

Listing Date: 24 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083449

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166688

Location: Burton Constable, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU11

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Burton Constable

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Skirlaugh St Augustine

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Withernwick

Listing Text

BURTON CONSTABLE MARTON LANE
TA 13 NE
(east side)
Marton
6/12 Church of the Most Holy
Sacrament
- II
Church. 1788-89 with later additions and alterations including mid C19
extension to east and C20 porch to west. By Thomas Atkinson for William
Constable. Pinkish-brown brick in English garden wall bond with Welsh slate
roof. Single tall storey, 3 bays with single-bay extension to east and
porch to west. Entrance a double plank door to south side of porch under
round arch. Within, to west end of church a 6-fielded-panel door. West end
has 16-pane sash to right of door and to gable a 16-pane window with radial
glazing to head. South side has 3 round-arched windows, the 2 westernmost
are 16-pane windows with radial glazing to heads, to east a stained-glass
window (dated 1946); all under header arches. Brick copings to all gables.
Interior. To west end a gallery on 4 Doric columns. To north side an
arcade of blank round-arched recesses with raised imposts, similar arcade to
south contains windows. Moulded cornice. Segmental vault. Shallow chancel
bay with wall paintings. Neoclassical marble wall monument, a female figure
and urn, to Mary Chichester d 1815 by Tyley of Bristol. Remains of box pews
to west. Inscribed on brass plaque to entrance: "DEO IMMORTALI / AEDES HAS
SACRAS / EREXIT / GULIEMUS CONSTABLE / A.D. / DMDCCLXXXIX" Abutts former
prebendary to north. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978;
p 312.


Listing NGR: TA1891638653

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.