History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rimswell Water Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Rimswell, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7302 / 53°43'48"N

Longitude: -0.0221 / 0°1'19"W

OS Eastings: 530579

OS Northings: 427798

OS Grid: TA305277

Mapcode National: GBR XT99.0K

Mapcode Global: WHHH1.MHPP

Entry Name: Rimswell Water Tower

Listing Date: 27 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083460

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166609

Location: Rimswell, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Rimswell

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Withernsea with Owthorne

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Withernsea

Listing Text

RIMSWELL B 1362
TA 32 NW
(east side)
Batty's Corner
4/67 Rimswell Water Tower
GV II

Water tower. Dated 1916 for Hull Corporation Waterworks. Reinforced
concrete. Circular on plan, with projecting entrance to west. 3 stages:
single-storey drum-shaped base with central tower and 8 columns supporting
cylindrical water tank with short central turret. Base has chamfered
plinth, sides with pilaster strips carrying cornice and coped blocking
course. Projecting rectangular entrance section has clasping pilaster
strips, board door with strap hinges in raised surround with stepped key,
plaque to left inscribed:
CITY OF HULL WATERWORKS
WITHENSEA AND SOUTH HOLDERNESS SUPPLY
1916
and with names of aldermen. Hull coat of arms in relief above door, flanked
by single 6-pane windows in raised surrounds with raised panels above and
aprons below. Cylindrical tower above has board door with strap hinges in
keyed raised surround, and two 6-pane windows in architraves. Surrounding
arcade of 8 square chamfered columns with moulded capitals supports
segmental arches and moulded brackets on the underside of the upper tank,
which has band, pilaster strips, cornice and blocking course similar to
base. Short central tower projects above with conical roof. Interior: the
base contains pumps and a 300,000 gallon tank, the upper tank, of 100,000
gallon capacity, surrounds the central tower which carries a spiral
staircase and pipe-work dated 1914. A distinguished example of early
reinforced concrete building.


Listing NGR: TA3057927798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.