History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Withernsea Lighthouse and Adjoining Pair of Lighthouse Keepers Houses

A Grade II Listed Building in Withernsea, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7309 / 53°43'51"N

Longitude: 0.0288 / 0°1'43"E

OS Eastings: 533933

OS Northings: 427967

OS Grid: TA339279

Mapcode National: GBR XTN9.09

Mapcode Global: WHHH2.DHX5

Entry Name: Withernsea Lighthouse and Adjoining Pair of Lighthouse Keepers Houses

Listing Date: 16 October 1985

Last Amended: 27 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083470

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166635

Location: Withernsea, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU19

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Withernsea

Built-Up Area: Withernsea

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Withernsea with Owthorne

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Withernsea

Listing Text

WITHERNSEA HULL ROAD
5266
TA 32 NW
(south side)
4/93 Withernsea Lighthouse and
adjoining pair of
16-10-85
lighthouse keepers'
houses
(formerly listed as The
Lighthouse)
GV II

Lighthouse and adjoining lighthouse keepers' houses. 1892-3, probably by
Sir James Douglass or Thomas Matthews, for Trinity House. Brick, stuccoed
and whitewashed; incised in imitation of ashlar to houses. Welsh slate roof
to houses. T-shaped on plan: tapered octagonal tower with passage to pair
of 3-room houses adjoining on south side; entrances to passage, and north
and south sides of houses. Tower: 6 stages, surmounted by lantern; overall
height approximately 38 metres. Chamfered plinth. Deeply-recessed
segmental-headed 2-light windows with quoined surrounds and projecting
sills. Polychrome painted relief panel to first floor, north side, with
Trinity House arms, crest and motto "Trinitas in Unitate" in raised surround
with sill. Deeply-coved cornice carrying railings to light inspection
platform with cast-iron square column principals with moulded bases,
capitals and finials, and plain rails. Tall faceted cylindrical lantern
with full-height diagonal glazing bars and domed cupola with handrail,
surmounted by cylindrical ventilator with handrail, domed cap and weather-
vane. Houses, south side: 2 storeys, 4 first-floor windows. Chamfered
plinth, quoins. Steps to pair of central part-glazed doors flanked by
single-light and 2-light cross windows, 4 simlar w indows to first,floor. All opening In
quoined surrounds; projecting sills to windows. Overhanging eaves. Hipped
roof. 3 black painted tall axial stacks with chamfered plinths and
clustered shafts, stepped cornices, domed caps and cylindrical pots.
Similar windows and details to east and west elevations. Main entrances to
north have steps to recessed board doors with overlights. Single storey
passage linking houses and tower has 3-bay east and west fronts, each with
steps to a recessed 2-fold board door with overlight flanked by single-light
windows. Interior. The lighthouse tower contains no floors apart from that
of the inspection chamber and upper lamp room, reached by a spiral staircase
on the interior walls. A prominent lankmark, it ceased operation in 1976.
Sir James Nicholas Douglass (1826-98) was Engineer-in-Chief for Trinity
House from 1863-92, for whom he designed 20 new towers, including Eddystone
and Bishop Rock. He was succeeded by Thomas Matthews, who designed the
1893-5 Spurn Lighthouse (qv). A well-designed group, with accompanying
range of original outbuildings and garden wall (qv). D Jackson, Lighthouses
of England and Wales, 1975, p 105; D B Hague and R Christie, Lighthouses:
their architecture, history and archaeology, 1975, p 217.

Listing NGR: TA3393327967

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.