History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spurn Lighthouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Easington, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.579 / 53°34'44"N

Longitude: 0.1183 / 0°7'6"E

OS Eastings: 540345

OS Northings: 411239

OS Grid: TA403112

Mapcode National: GBR YW81.FR

Mapcode Global: WHJK0.S9JM

Entry Name: Spurn Lighthouse

Listing Date: 27 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083476

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166547

Location: Easington, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Easington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Easington with Skeffling All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Cleethorpes

Listing Text

EASINGTON SPURN POINT
TA 41 SW
14/6 Spurn Lighthouse
GV II

Lighthouse. 1893-5 by Thomas Matthews for Trinity House. Brick, painted,
on concrete base. Tapered round tower with entrance to west. 6 storeys,
surmounted by lantern; overall height approximately 36 metres. High
chamfered plinth. Flight of 5 stone steps flanked by cast- and wrought-iron
railings with wreathed handrail, column newel and plain balusters. Recessed
double board doors with louvred lower panels and 2-pane overlight beneath
segmental arch. Recessed relief panel above with painted Trinity House
arms, crest and motto "Trinitas in Unitate". Deeply-recessed segmental-
headed windows with projecting sills. Top section corbelled out to light
inspection platform with plain railing. Cylindrical lantern with latticed
glazing bars. Domed cupola with cylindrical ventilator. Built to replace
Smeaton's High Lighthouse of 1771-6, demolished in 1895, and the Low
Lighthouse of 1852 (qv). A prominent landmark, and one of the series of
Humber Estuary lights which included lighthouses at Thorngumbald and South
Killingholme (qv). Ceased operation in 1985. G de Boer, A History of the
Spurn Lighthouses, East Yorkshire Local History Series No 24, 1968, pp 66-8.


Listing NGR: TA4034511239

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.