History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Halsham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Halsham, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7311 / 53°43'51"N

Longitude: -0.0773 / 0°4'38"W

OS Eastings: 526933

OS Northings: 427790

OS Grid: TA269277

Mapcode National: GBR WTX9.17

Mapcode Global: WHHH0.SHC1

Entry Name: Halsham House

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Last Amended: 27 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083478

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166551

Location: Halsham, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Halsham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Halsham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Burton Pidsea

Listing Text

HALSHAM B 1362
TA 22 NE
(west side)
3/10 Halsham House
(formerly listed as
4-3-52 Cottage occupied by
F Whisker [former Free
School])
GV II

School and school house, now house. 1579-84 for Constable Estate.
Alterations of 1884 (probably included partial rebuilding of porch);
alterations and renovations of c1971 included refenestration of east front,
removal of external stack and rebuilding of wall to north east. Red brick
in English bond; timber-framed internal walls with brick infilling.
Concrete tile roof. L-shaped on plan: main range of 6 internal bays with
east gable end to street, and south-east porch containing main entrance and
staircase to first-floor schoolroom. 2 storeys with attic. East front, of
2 bays: tripartite ground-floor windows of 3 narrow square-headed lights
with C20 glazing, partly blocked to top, beneath brick hoodmoulds; similar
shorter first-floor windows, blocked 3-light attic window with brick sill
and mullions with similar blocked 2-light window above with plain brick
hoodmould. Crow-stepped gables with saddle-back coping and moulded
kneelers. South front: main range with 5 first-floor windows and full-
height gabled porch to right. Porch: 5-panel door to left of centre, 12-
pane first-floor sash beneath segmental arch, crenellated stepped gable with
brick band below central section with blind oculus; axial stack to rear.
Left and right returns of porch have single blind segmental-headed panels to
first floor. Main range to left: 5-panel door in reveal, flanked by a 12-
pane sash to left beneath segmental arch, and to right by 3 single-light
windows beneath hoodmoulds, and a 2-light sliding sash with glazing bars.
First floor: large 3-light half-dormer window flanked by three 12-pane
sashes to left and single similar sash to right. Projecting end stack and
brick-coped gable to left; later corbelled truncated stack to right, in
angle of porch. All windows C20 replacements. North side has rebuilt
section, C20 door and casements to ground floor left; four 12-pane sashes
and two 9-pane casements to first floor beneath segmental and basket arches.
Interior. Porch contains 4-centred arch ground-floor entrance beneath C19
restored staircase to first-floor entrance with a brick 4-centred arch and
heavy oak door with a small central hatch, pair of wrought-iron strap
hinges, and inscribed with graffiti, mostly C18. Main range has pointed and
4-centred-arch window reveals, a basket-arched inglenook fireplace to the
north-east room, close-studded timber-framed partitions to ground and first
floors containing some original brick-on-edge infill; heavy square oak
ceiling beams and exposed joists to ground floor, 7-bay roof with oak
principal rafters and 2 tiers of through-purlins. The school, for 8 boys,
was established by the will of Sir John Constable (d1579), and incorporated
in 1584. In C18-C19 the schoolroom was on upper floor, and remaining rooms
were occupied by master, until the building was wholly given over to the
school from 1871 to its closure c1960. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England:
Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 241; Victoria County History: York, East
Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp
39-40.


Listing NGR: TA2693227791

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.