History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Hollym, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7063 / 53°42'22"N

Longitude: 0.0357 / 0°2'8"E

OS Eastings: 534466

OS Northings: 425243

OS Grid: TA344252

Mapcode National: GBR XTPL.J4

Mapcode Global: WHHH8.J36H

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 27 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083479

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166553

Location: Hollym, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU19

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Hollym

Built-Up Area: Hollym

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hollym St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Withernsea

Listing Text

HOLLYM NORTHSIDE
TA 32 NW
(south side)
4/12 Church of St Nicholas
GV II

Parish church. Tower of 1814 by William Hutchinson, remainder of 1884 by
James Demaine. Grey brick to tower, yellow brick to nave with ashlar and
red brick dressings. Westmorland slate roof. West tower with west door,
4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel with vestry adjoining south side. Chamfered
ashlar-capped plinth. 3-stage tower: 2 steps to round-arched entrance with
double board door and radial fanlight in round-arched recessed panel with
ashlar keystone inscribed "BUILT", ashlar string course; blank second stage,
1814
2-course brick band; round-arched belfry openings with wooden louvres and
applied Y-tracery; stepped and dentilled brick cornice, coped parapet, plain
ashlar angle pinnacles. Nave and chancel: buttresses with tumbled-in brick
to offsets, triple round-headed windows to nave, single similar windows to
chancel, stepped triple east window; twin north window to vestry. Ashlar
sills, flush red brick sill and impost bands, hoods above windows, and
stepped and cogged eaves cornice. Stone-coped gables with shaped kneelers.
Crested ridge tiles. Ornate chimney to vestry. Interior. Nave open to
chancel, with round chancel arch carried on pairs of short corbelled wall
shafts. Waggon roof to chancel; ceiled hammer-beam roof to nave, of
rounded-trefoil section. Polychrome tiles to chancel floor. Monuments in
chancel: pair of shaped wall tablets, each with carved border, foliate drop,
and urn, one to Rev Peter Atkinson of 1779, the other an inferior copy of
1816 to Rev Robert Barker; tablet to Rev Charles Hague of 1864 with cornice
and pediment with acroteria. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England:
Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 254; Victoria County History: York East
Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 46.


Listing NGR: TA3446625243

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.