History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Engine House/Granary Range and Adjoining Barn at Enholmes Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Patrington, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6782 / 53°40'41"N

Longitude: -0.0322 / 0°1'55"W

OS Eastings: 530076

OS Northings: 421991

OS Grid: TA300219

Mapcode National: GBR XT6X.T6

Mapcode Global: WHHH7.GTX2

Entry Name: Engine House/Granary Range and Adjoining Barn at Enholmes Farm

Listing Date: 1 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083489

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166577

Location: Patrington, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Patrington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Patrington St Patrick

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Patrington

Listing Text

PATRINGTON ENHOLMES
TA 32 SW
7/35 Engine house/granary
range and adjoining barn
1-10-86 at Enholmes Farm
GV II

Engine house/granary and adjoining barn. 1849 for William Marshall; C20
roof covering. Orange-brown brick with orange rubbed-brick dressings.
Asbestos roofs. Plan: 13-bay engine house/granary range with longer and
wider ll-bay barn adjoining on north side; forms north side of farmyard. 2-
storey, ll-bay main range with central 3-storey, single-bay tower to engine
house and lower 2-storey, 2-bay section to east. Plinth, quoins. South
side: main range has central round-headed board door with cat-hole, boarded
(formerly glazed) upper panel, and radial fanlight beneath rubbed-brick
arch, flanked by pairs of entrances (3 with board doors, one with window and
blocking below) and 3 windows to each side, all with segmental arches.
First floor: central round-headed window flanked by segmental-headed windows
and 2 doors to right. 3 rows of cylindrical clay pipe breathers at mid
ground-floor, first-floor and eaves level. Series of cast-iron tie bar ends
for machine fittings to central section. Tower has 2-course brick second-
floor band with recessed round-headed panel above containing hole for former
clock, cast-iron corniced gutter and water tank around truncated octagonal
chimney. Flanking roof has projecting eaves with exposed rafter ends,
moulded brackets and plain barge boards to gables. Lower section set back
to right has wide segmental-arched door with segmental-headed window to
right; pair of similar first-floor windows, hipped roof. All openings have
rubbed-brick arches; rounded jambs to doors; ashlar sills and C20 glazing to
windows. West side: twin gable ends with granary range set back to right,
each with central full-height round-headed opening containing recessed 2-
fold sliding board doors beneath lintels (original timber lintel to barn,
concrete lintel to granary), with recessed panel above containing central
sliding door to first floor. Projecting timber hoist bracket to barn, rows
of pipe breathers and single inserted C20 ventilator hoods to gables. East
side: gable end of barn to right has similar round-headed opening with pair
of sliding doors; section set back to left has single segmental-headed
windows to each floor. North side of barn: round-headed waggon entrance to
left of centre with sliding board door, single ground-floor window to right
(remainder of section to right obscured at time of resurvey); pair of
segmental-headed pitching hatches to above left, 7 similar hatches and one
round-headed door to above right. Interior: 13-bay king-post roof to barn;
iron drive-shafts and wheels, trap doors or hoists etc, in engine
house/granary range, which formerly contained a steam-driven corn mill,
chaff- and root-cutters, elevator etc and kitchen for animal feed
preparation, the whole being served by a system of railways. The farm,
regarded as a model farm of the period, was one of many improvements made by
the Marshalls, who also built nearby Enholmes Hall, Enholmes Brick and Tile
Works (qv) and a Flax Mill, now demolished. J Caird, English Agriculture in
1850-51, 1852, pp 304-7; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5,
1984, pp 102-5.

Listing NGR: TA3007621991

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.