History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Langley Priory and Attached Railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Isley cum Langley, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8077 / 52°48'27"N

Longitude: -1.3581 / 1°21'29"W

OS Eastings: 443364

OS Northings: 323546

OS Grid: SK433235

Mapcode National: GBR 7HP.ZCD

Mapcode Global: WHDHG.3PJD

Entry Name: Langley Priory and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 29 December 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083563

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358157

Location: Isley cum Langley, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE74

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Isley cum Langley

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Isley Walton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Castle Donington

Listing Text

ISLEY CUM LANGLEY -
SK 24 SW
4/110 Langley Priory and
attached railings
29.12.52
- II*

House, on site of Benedictine nunnery. Late C16, early C17, with central range
rebuilt and said to be dated RS 1690. Extended to north 1860s; interior also
much altered late C19. Dressed stone, with centre range fronted in ashlar to
west. East front is mostly brick, with late C17 chequer brick at north end.
Plain tile roofs with brick chimneys rebuilt C19-C20. Wings surround 3 sides of
courtyard, with iron railings across open west side. 2 storeys and attic.
Central wing is of 6 bays and has moulded stone string at sill level of ground
floor windows, C19-C20 wooden eaves cornice with brackets, and hipped roof.
Windows are of cross type with square stone mullions and transoms, raised stone
architrave surrounds and leaded glazing. Five C19-C20 gabled dormers with
paired leaded casements. To centre is a C20 door in bolection moulded stone
surround with pulvinated frieze and cornice. To either side, between outer
bays, are narrow blocked doorways with moulded architrave frames, pulvinated
friezes and cornices. Side wings are each of approximately 3 bays with wide
gables to centre. Gables have stone coping and ball finials. Right wing
retains original windows with chamfered stone mullions, the ground floor with
three 2-light windows, the first floor with three 3-light windows, and the attic
with 3-light window in central gable. All ground floor windows and those to
upper centre have cyma recta cornices. Leaded glazing. 3 doorways, the left
with chamfered stone jambs and altered head, those to right with slight 4-
centred heads. Left doors are boarded and studded. Gable end of right wing
also has 3-light mullion windows and chamfered doorway. Left wing still has
original attic window as opposite, but other fenestration has been partly
altered. Three first floor windows retain chamfered stone surrounds and
cornices but have 3-light leaded windows in wooden frames. Additional cross
window inserted to right, with C19-C20 gabled dormer above. Ground floor
windows are irregular and have been restored. Central C20 door. Gable end
retains original 2-light attic window, and has C19-C20 wooden bellcote. Rail-
ings across front of court have arch and lantern over central gate. East front,
to garden, has stone gable end to left with 7-light stone mullion and transom
windows to main floors, and 3-light attic window. Central range is of brick,
with band course, altered cornice, and C19 wooden cross casements. C19 canted
bay window to right of centre. Block at right end is of chequer brick with
cogged strings and has coped M gable with ball finials. C19 sash windows of 2
and 3 panes. Lead rainwater head to centre of this part is dated RS 1690.
Interior: windows in north wing have re-set pieces of stained glass, some C15,
one piece dated 1617, one panel armorial. Upper room at east end of this wing
also has tapestries, probably C17 Flemish and not made for the room, of 2 types,
one with bold classical figures, the other with biblical (?) scenes in wooden
settings. This room also has a bolection-moulded stone fireplace with moulded
cornice and Delft tiles. Main staircase is in late C17 style and has turned and
twisted balusters, pulvinated string, ramped moulded handrail, and panelled
dado. Another short flight of steps between north east rooms has splat
balusters. Priory was originally founded by William Pantulf and his wife
Burgia. At the Dissolution it was acquired by the Greys, and was sold to the
Cheslyn family in 1686.


Listing NGR: SK4336423546

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.