This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7393 / 53°44'21"N
Longitude: -0.1984 / 0°11'54"W
OS Eastings: 518927
OS Northings: 428497
OS Grid: TA189284
Mapcode National: GBR WT16.V9
Mapcode Global: WHHGY.X8QQ
Entry Name: The New Hall
Listing Date: 9 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166377
Location: Hedon, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hedon
Built-Up Area: Hedon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hedon St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: York
(The New Hall)
TA 1828 NE 1/7
TA 1828 5/7 9.1.54.
Mid C18. Built for William Iveson Senior (1728-86), a Hedon solicitor, understeward
to William Constable (Lord of the Manor), Mayor of Hedon (1767, 1775 and 1780),
and Deputy Sheriff of Yorkshire. Red brick. Double pile: rear roof is pitched
pantile with tumbled gable: front roof altered in mid-C19 to pitched slate
with overhanging eaves on long moulded brackets. Five ranges of sashes with
glazing bars and keystones. Porch on 2 Tuscan columns and 2 half-columns,
all with high bases, taking entablature and dentilled pediment to front. Door
in moulded frame, with 6 fielded panels, up 5 steps.
Wing breaking forward to north-west: ground floor of this is converted part
of adjoining (west) C18 barn: top floor is a mid-C19 addition with steep pitched
gabled roof and bracketed eaves. Two ranges of sashes with glazing bars on
each elevation, and oculus in gable end.
Rear has brick parapet with stone coping to eaves. Same fenestration as front.
Early C19 porch glazed all over, including roof: reeded pilasters and pedimented
gable: internal pilasters have rosettes at point where they join a reeded band.
Interior. Large double-height hall. Plaster ceiling with moulded panels,
centre one circular, enclosing circular festoon of roses and acanthus centrepiece.
Staircase on 2 sides and gallery on other 2 sides, with curved corners instead
of newels. Balusters have urn-shapes base and inverted gadrooned knop 1/3
way up. Moulded handrail. Spiral terminal at bottom: newel in centre with
gadrooned base the other way up. Moulded dado rail with fielded panelling
below. Five doors, with 6 fielded panels each, moulded frames with deep reveals
with fielded panelling. Chimneypiece with shouldered architrave, cyma recta
frieze and moulded mantelshelf: Delft tile surround to fireplace. Windows
with window seats and shutters with fielded panelling.
Drawing room has contemporary pine wainscoting. Moulded dado and moulded oblong
panels above. Doorway and mirror opposite fireplace have architrave surrounds,
pulvinated friezes and moulded cornices. Wooden chimneypiece with egg and
dart surround; frieze ornamented with crossed palm fronds and central die
with mask of Diana in front of crossed bow and quiver; deeply moulded mantel shelf;
inverted scrolled consoles either side. Overmantel with shouldered surround,
breaking upwards in centre to enclose festoon of roses: pulvinated bay leaf
frieze: moulded cornice, central part pedimented: scrolled consoles with swag
of grapes flank frame. Windows with window seats, and shutters with fielded
Morning Room wainscotted in pine. Moulded dado. Fielded panelling. Fireplace
has marble surround and shouldered architrave: moulded mantel shelf. Raised
panel above chimneypiece with moulded cornice. Windows with window seats and
shutters with fielded panelling.
Bedrooms have comtemporary wainscoting and good contemporary chimneypieces,
2 with marble surrounds to fireplaces.
Wing to north flanking Fletcher Gate. Brown brick. Pitched pantile roof,
2 storeys. One segment-headed door with 6 fielded panels: various other openings
to street. Yard side has various segment-headed openings, one planked door
and one door with 6 moulded panels.
Service block of house at west end. Brown brick. Pitched pantile roof.
Two storeys. One tripartite cased sash with glazing bars on 1st floor. One
door with 6 panels, 4 of them fielded. One-storey lean-to extension on west
side: one cased sash with glazing bars.
Listing NGR: TA1892528499
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings