History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Frodingham Infants School the School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Frodingham, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.586 / 53°35'9"N

Longitude: -0.6453 / 0°38'43"W

OS Eastings: 489774

OS Northings: 410786

OS Grid: SE897107

Mapcode National: GBR RVYZ.27

Mapcode Global: WHGGD.14Z7

Entry Name: Frodingham Infants School the School House

Listing Date: 1 January 1976

Last Amended: 24 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083616

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166272

Location: North Lincolnshire, DN16

County: North Lincolnshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Frodingham

Built-Up Area: Scunthorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Frodingham and New Brumby

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Scunthorpe

Listing Text

ROWLAND ROAD
(north side)

1/11 Frodingham Infants School and
No 46 The School House

The item shall be amended to read: ROWLAND ROAD
(north side)

Frodingham Infants School and
No 96 The School House

------------------------------------

SCUNTHORPE ROWLAND ROAD
SE 81 SE
(north side)
1/11 Frodingham Infants
School and No 46,
1/1/76
- The School House

- II

School and former schoolmaster's house, the latter now used as offices
by the Workers' Educational Association. 1867, with additions of 1874,
for Rowland Winn as part of his industrial settlement of New Frodingham.
Rock-faced ironstone with red and yellow brick dressings and stacks;
slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Central courtyard plan, with
classroom ranges on 3 sides and schoolhouse on fourth. 1 and 2 storeys:
single-storey entrance range of 4 bays has single bay projecting gabled
wing to left, and 2-storey schoolhouse of 2 bays projecting under gable
to right. Brick-capped plinth rising under windows; raised brick
quoins. School has pointed-arch doorway with raised chamfered brick
surround containing a pair of plank doors with decorative wrought iron
hinges and escutcheons. c1960 glazed door in brick surround in angle to
right. Pointed-arch schoolhouse entrance has raised chamfered brick
surround and part-glazed door with wrought iron details. School has
groups of 3 and 4 flat-headed lancet-type windows with chamfered brick
mullions and surrounds. Schoolhouse has a smaller similar pair to
ground floor, a first floor cogged brick cornice between projecting
courses, and similar windows above. Weathered ashlar panels in brick
surrounds to both projecting gables. Bold dentilled cornice in red and
yellow brick, wooden gutters, cast-iron down-pipes. Steeply-pitched
roof with crested ridge tiles and tall axial polychrome brick stacks
with cogged cornices and diamond-shafted chimneys. Left return has
suspended bell and 1874 datestone at gable end. Further classroom
ranges and outbuildings in similar design.


Listing NGR: SE8977410786

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.