History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Hybald

A Grade II* Listed Building in Scawby, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5384 / 53°32'18"N

Longitude: -0.5396 / 0°32'22"W

OS Eastings: 496882

OS Northings: 405635

OS Grid: SE968056

Mapcode National: GBR SWNJ.Z9

Mapcode Global: WHGGM.PB86

Entry Name: Church of St Hybald

Listing Date: 6 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083718

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166042

Location: Scawby, North Lincolnshire, DN20

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Scawby

Built-Up Area: Scawby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Scawby and Redbourne

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Brigg

Listing Text


SE 9605-9705 SCAWBY CHURCH STREET
(north side, off)

19/81 Church of St Hybald

6.11.67

GV II *

Parish church. C13-C15 tower; west tower entrance, nave, aisles and chancel
of 1842-43 by W A Nicholson, with alterations of 1870s by James Fowler of
Louth. 1842-43 rebuilding in C13 style. Tower of squared limestone and
rubble with galleted joints, ashlar dressings and parapet; remainder in
dressed limestone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower with west
entrance, 5-bay aisled nave with 3-bay arcades and south porch, 3-bay
chancel. 2-stage tower: quoins, moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with
offsets. Tall first stage has inserted pointed shafted door with hood-mould
and shafted lancet above, original round-headed single-light west and south
windows with monolithic heads, moulded string course. Stepped-in second
stage: 4-centred arch 2-light cinquefoiled belfry openings with hood-moulds.
Moulded string course with pairs of gargoyles to north and south sides,
coped embattled parapet. Chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses and corbel-
table to nave, aisles and chancel. Lancets to clerestory; shafted lancets
with hood-moulds to aisles; pointed shafted south door and shafted twin east
lancet with hood-mould to chancel. Porch: pointed chamfered outer arch with
hood-mould and headstops, pointed chamfered inner arch. Interior. Nave
arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches with hood-moulds on octagonal
piers and keeled responds with engaged shafts and moulded capitals, (bases
obscured by flooring). Tower open to nave, with panelled organ-gallery
front bearing good C19 painted cast metal coat of arms. Double-chamfered
chancel arch of filleted responds with engaged shafts. Shafted east window
with hood-mould and headstops. 3-bay single hammer-beam chancel roof; 5-bay
king-post nave roof. Monuments. In chancel, south side: wall monument to
Richard Nelthorpe and wife Ursula, of c1640, attributed to Marshall
workshop, with life-sized busts in round-arched niches above inscription and
panel with 6 miniature figures (2 damaged) of mourning children holding
skulls, flanked by scrolled brackets and columns carrying entablature and
carved archievement in ornate strapwork surround; wall tablet to John
Nelthorpe, of 1669, (transferred from Church of St James, Clerkenwell) with
scrolled bracket and festooned base, inscription flanked by Ionic columns
carrying entablature with pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice and scrolled
pediment bearing cartouche with arms; to Edward and Richard Nelthorpe, of
1788, by Fisher of York, with obelisk base and inscription in fluted
surround with festooned pedestal and draped urn. North side: tablet to Sir
Henry Nelthorpe of 1830, by George Earle Jun of Hull, with draped altar,
palm fronds, scrolled pediment and arms. Black marble floorslab to Frances
Nelthorpe of 1720. Wall tablets in north aisle: to Amaziah Empson, vicar,
of 1798, by Fisher of York, with obelisk base, foliate frieze, draped urn
and arms; to Elizabeth Moore, of 1797, with good inscription. C19 tablets
to south aisle. Four C18 and later hatchments fixed above wall monuments in
chancel. Good late C19 wrought-iron altar rails by Mark Horton of Lea.
Plain C19 octagonal font on shafted column base. Drawings by
C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; N Pevsner and
J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p351-352.


Listing NGR: SE9688205635

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.