This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5876 / 53°35'15"N
Longitude: -0.5653 / 0°33'55"W
OS Eastings: 495066
OS Northings: 411064
OS Grid: SE950110
Mapcode National: GBR SVHY.DP
Mapcode Global: WHGGF.9311
Entry Name: Springwood Cottage
Listing Date: 23 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083734
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165975
Location: Appleby, North Lincolnshire, DN15
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Appleby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Appleby St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 91 SE APPLEBY ERMINE STREET
(west side, off)
4/16 Springwood Cottage
Hunting lodge, converted to keeper's cottage. c1820, probably by the
Fowlers of Winterton. First floor and outshut to rear added before 1870.
Right wing re-rendered and pebble-dashed in C20. For Winn Estate. Coursed
limestone rubble and brick, pebble-dashed, with yellow brick and sandstone
ashlar dressings and yellow brick stacks; red brick to later first-floor
rear section. Slate roof. T-shaped on plan: 5-room east entrance front has
porch to central octagonal room flanked by 2-room wings with rear passages;
2-room rear wing with kitchen outshut to rear right. East front: single-
storey, 5 bays; symmetrical. Wider central projecting canted bay has
projecting enclosed porch with recessed 2-fold half-glazed panelled door and
Gothick overlight in pointed arch with stucco hood-mould, beneath moulded
ashlar cornice and yellow brick crenellations with gabled ashlar coping.
Single cross-shaped arrow-slits to porch sides. Flanking canted sections
have pointed 2-light casements with Gothick heads beneath stucco hood-
moulds. Wings have central recessed bays with pointed 2-light casements
with glazing bars and Gothick heads, flanked by pointed single-light windows
with glazing bars. All windows in reveals with stucco sills, those to left
wing with stucco hood-moulds. Moulded ashlar cornice, yellow brick
crenellations with gabled ashlar coping. 2 axial stacks to rear wing with
banded and corniced diamond-shafted chimneys: twin shafts to front, 4 shafts
to rear. Left and right returns of wings have recessed central sections,
that to left with blind pointed panel with sill and hood-mould; cornices and
crenellations similar to front. Rear wing has 2 pointed windows and an
elliptically-arched recess to rear left (probably former carriage entrance)
with a pointed panel containing a 12-pane sliding sash. Interior. The
octagonal room, known as the Lunch Room (for shooting parties) has
octapartite-vaulted plaster ceiling with central rose and moulded ribs
supported on moulded wood and plaster corbels with carved whorls at the
bases; pointed recesses to each wall have shafted architraves with moulded
bases and capitals; carved pine Gothick chimneypiece to rear recess has
moulded 4-centred arch with foliate carving to spandrels flanked by shafts
with moulded octagonal bases and foliate capitals, carved paterae to frieze
and arrow-loops and coped crenellations to top; pair of 2-fold panelled
doors to either side with architraves of twin miniature shafts and Gothick
panelling above with tracery of similar twin attached shafts with carved
capitals and bases; similar architraves and tracery to windows and main
entrance. The room contains good fitted Gothick-style oak furniture.
Entrance lobby has panelled dado, similar shafted architraves and Gothick
tracery to inner and outer doors. Blocked domed cellar beneath. Series of
dates inscribed to rear of central parapet, the earliest is "Holt 1820".
An unusual and distinguished building with good detailing. Both the house
and fittings may be by William or Joseph Fowler of Winterton, known
practitioners in the Gothick style who worked for Winn at Appleby in the
1820s. J F Fowler, The Correspondence of William Fowler, 1907, 493.
Listing NGR: SE9506611064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings